Drilling the slides.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling the slides.

I understand the basic operation of the CV carbs and all the various circuits in them.
    When a Dynojet kit is installed (and I understand why), it is recommended to drill out the holes in the slides.

My little pea-pickin' mind tells me that intake vacuum pulls the slide up, and the hole in the slide is a bleed hole so the slide is not lifted as quickly or as much, with a given level of vacuum. In my mind, drilling a larger hole would increase the bleed rate and require more vacuum to lift the slide, delaying its action.

Can someone please confirm/deny this or otherwise enlighten me? Thanks. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

I believe it speeds it's action in both directions but I'm not 100%....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I asked a tech fellow at Dyno-Jet on the tech line about this very thing last summer to quell a bet.

See me and the guys at the shop were bickering about getting the GSXR to throttle right, so I phoned dyno right up, to proove my piont.

"Does the larger hole keep the slide from lifting as quickly?" I asked him on speaker phone.

His reply was, NO. By drilling a larger hole in the slide it actually makes it lift quicker with less vacuum to assist the transition onto the needle jet earlier in the rev range.

A lot of those kits have stiffer slide springs included too.

I take great pride in getting the jetting perfect. I like carbs and carb tunning.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

So if you wanted to delay the slides from lifting as quick, you could either stretch the springs out a little or fill the holes with epoxy and then drill a smaller hole correct? Is there any special type of epoxy that would be best for this? or jb weld?

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
          So if you wanted to delay the slides from lifting as quick, you could either stretch the springs out a little or fill the holes with epoxy and then drill a smaller hole correct? Is there any special type of epoxy that would be best for this? or jb weld?

Nick
          in theory that is true. aluma bond 2 part epoxy.

you are not doing yourself a favor if this is your plan.

are the slides already drilled? there are much better ways to tune in CV carbs

Comment

there are much better ways to tune in CV carbs
            Could you enlighten me please? what, in your opinion would be a better solution?

Comment

I need more info on what the machine is or is not doing and when the problem exists.

idle ,just off idle ,midrange , high range

0-1/4 throttle, 1/4-1/2 throttle, 1/2-3/4 throttle, 3/4- WOT

current jetting, float height, mixture settings , actual engine modifications (no last owner stories) , state of tune, compression, state of electrical system

air leaks? rust in the tank? plugged fuel tap?

Comment

Mine are drilled & I'm going to JB Weld & put them back to stock. JB weld worked for Chef1366

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Mine are drilled & I'm going to JB Weld & put them back to stock. JB weld worked for Chef1366

Dan
                  if the damage is done why not put in bigger pilot jets, lift the needle a .5mm? or both?

what do the plugs look like? black brown grey white?

Comment

The idiot who drilled the slides did the above actions along with oversize mains, result is not good!

Mine are 4mm - that's oversized even for a dyno jet stage 3 kit! Without a 4:1 & pods there doesn't seem to be any point in doing this.

I first came down to stock mains - better, then dropped the needles, probably slightly worse if anything but it runs good when it's cold.

My next move is to re-drill the slides to stock & try again, it's the last thing as everything else is stock.

In answer to how else you could tune it for Nicholas, everything I've read tells me tweaking the float level would be a better way to make your bike richer but would affect all throttle positions to a point.... lifting the needles would make the mid part of the throttle richer too (more fuel flowing for a given vacuum if you like...)

Plenty here can give a better diagnosis than me but you need to give out all the info as requested above

In old race bikes it seems they also shaped the bottom of the slides as well as altered the vacuum hole size & other mods but it was largely experience & trial & error, I don't think you want to get into that... have plenty of slides ready if you do!!
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I first came down to stock mains - better, then dropped the needles, probably slightly worse if anything but it runs good when it's cold.
                      If you dropped the needles it would make the bike leaner. A leaner bike runs worse when it is cold, compared to bike that is running rich.

I would say that if it runs good when it is cold with the setup you have, the mains are too large and to compensate you lowered the needles which helped midrange. This seems unusual to me because the jets would probably be a little lean stock for emissions and to claim a higher mpg.

Unless you mean the bike runs well now over all even when it's cold... then nvm

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                        By drilling a larger hole in the slide it actually makes it lift quicker with less vacuum to assist the transition onto the needle jet earlier in the rev range.
                        Evidently I have a wrong concept of how the slides are lifted. I was under the impression that vacuum lifted the slides. If you enlarge the hole, how does that lift them any quicker?
                        sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Nah, better when it's cold... I am almost convinced the drilled slides are at the root of my problem, I have *stock* airflow but as soon as I get on the gas it lifts the needles way too quick & it goes rich...

That's why it runs great on the pilots.

The reason you drill them with pods is to lift the needle quicker as proportionally you get more air through the carb for each butterfly position I think.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

The larger hole allows more air to enter the diaphragm and lift the slide quicker.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

OK, I think I have it figured out now. 8-[ My rememberer wasn't working quite right (again). ](*,)

Somehow I remembered a vacuum passage coming around the diaphragm to the top of the slide which then pulled the slide up. I just looked at a spare set of carbs and realized that such a passage does not exist. The vacuum that pulls the slide up does, indeed, come through the hole in the bottom of the slide, so it makes sense that a larger hole would lead to quicker operation.

Thanks, Chef, for steering me in that direction. \\/

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X