No announcement yet.

Drilling the slides.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys have it basically figured out. A larger hole increases vacuum and improves throttle response time. Sometimes different springs are needed too.
    What's missing is the reason you need to enlarge the holes.
    CV's depend on a certain amount of restriction from the stock airbox. Without this restriction, like if you take off the box just out of curiosity, the bike runs poorly. By running pods, you lose much of the restriction in this "closed system" and the result is less vacuum going through the passage and acting on the piston/diaphragm assembly. By enlarging the hole, you regain much of what was lost. That's how I understand it.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
      That's how I understand it.
      And who do we think we are that can doubt Keith's word on carbs?

Looking at the situation just a little more, I'm not sure that there is any more vacuum that gets there to lift the slide, it can just get there faster through the larger hole.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok i have a question. With what little i know of physics, isnt the air actually drawn OUT of the slide by the vaccum pull of the motor, thereby causing a low pressure area inside the slide causing it to lift? Or is this completely absurd?

Comment

There is an oval port at the top of the filter side of the carbs. If you suck on that port the slides lift by letting air in through the port that was drilled. The larger the hole the quicker the slide lifts.
          Without an airbox and with pods there is less air pressure for the vacuum to draw the air through the oval port and the slide air port so you need to drill it to allow air to enter at a quicker pace to make up for the lack of pressure from the air box.
          Also there are aftermarket slide springs that also speed up this action.
          I don't have a degree in Physics so I hope I explained this OK.
          I understand how it works but communicating it is a different animal.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

On my carbs, that oval port is connected to the bottom side of the diaphragm. :shock:

The only way I can see vacuum getting to the top of the diaphragm is to go through the hole in the bottom of the slide. That is exposed to the faster-moving air in the venturi area of the carb, so it will have the lowest pressure. Most of the vacuum will be on the engine side of the throttle butterfly valves. About the only time the hole in the slides would see the same amount of vacuum would be during wide-open throttle, when there is no restriction caused by a partially-closed butterfly.

The vacuum seen by the slides is directly related to the amount of air passing through the carb, so it will lift accordingly. The amount of vacuum in the intake tubes (where you connect the gauges to sync the carbs) can change depending on engine speed at any given throttle opening.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Jeez! You guys are getting too scientifical for me.
              I'm going out to play with the ZX now. New hugger to install and a couple other goodies!
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                On my carbs, that oval port is connected to the bottom side of the diaphragm. :shock:

The only way I can see vacuum getting to the top of the diaphragm is to go through the hole in the bottom of the slide. That is exposed to the faster-moving air in the venturi area of the carb, so it will have the lowest pressure. Most of the vacuum will be on the engine side of the throttle butterfly valves. About the only time the hole in the slides would see the same amount of vacuum would be during wide-open throttle, when there is no restriction caused by a partially-closed butterfly.

The vacuum seen by the slides is directly related to the amount of air passing through the carb, so it will lift accordingly. The amount of vacuum in the intake tubes (where you connect the gauges to sync the carbs) can change depending on engine speed at any given throttle opening.

So you think you need to drill the slides because there is less restriction of the air flow with the pods?
                I see your theory on the faster moving air in the venturi finding it's way through the slide air port and to keep the air flowing with the oval air port at the rear of the carbs.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Actually, let me back up just a bit here. I had never thought of drilling the slides until I helped someone install a DynoJet kit, which suggested drilling the slides, but did not say why. I had never heard of drilling the slides, so it caught me by surprise.

Now, my (new-found) idea on why they need to be drilled at all:
                  Part of it might be due to less restriction at the air filter, but the larger hole in the slide will allow faster transfer of air pressure differences between the venturi area and the space above the diaphragm. A normal-sized hole will eventually equalize the pressures, but the larger hole will get the vacuum to the top of the diaphragm quicker, and will lift the slide sooner, making the mixture a bit richer, sooner.

Oooohh, too much thinking, and it's raining here, so I can't go for a ride. ](*,)

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Yes, you are spot on. You're getting more air quicker so you also need more fuel quicker.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Sorry if this question is too specific on the more broad range thread...

I'm running my '83 GS650g with K&N Pods, a wrapped 4 into 1 exhaust. My main jet is 135 at the moment, and I'm still not running 100%. The Previous Owner said that he rejetted the bike, but I don't think he did it correctly, so I'm trying to run through it myself. I don't believe he drilled the slides, but I'm not sure.

Couple Questions: regarding the Mikuni bs32ss carbs.

What would be the stock hole size for this carb?

Why does the slide guide holder cover the air hole?

If I were to redrill this hole, how much larger should the hole be?

Would it be easier to just drill a new hold on the other side of the slide instead of redrilling the existing hole (this would make it easier to go back to stock later, by filling the new hole instead of filling and redrilling to stock size later)?

Mikuni bs32ss
                      Mikuni bs32ss

Comment

Wow, this was in informative carb thread!
                        I have some parts on the way from Chef, I bet I get good effect from replacing my one slide spring that is "sprung" and the one that is mismatched and smaller. Not to mention the diaphragm that has a tear.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Actually, let me back up just a bit here. I had never thought of drilling the slides until I helped someone install a DynoJet kit, which suggested drilling the slides, but did not say why. I had never heard of drilling the slides, so it caught me by surprise.

Now, my (new-found) idea on why they need to be drilled at all:
                          Part of it might be due to less restriction at the air filter, but the larger hole in the slide will allow faster transfer of air pressure differences between the venturi area and the space above the diaphragm. A normal-sized hole will eventually equalize the pressures, but the larger hole will get the vacuum to the top of the diaphragm quicker, and will lift the slide sooner, making the mixture a bit richer, sooner.

Oooohh, too much thinking, and it's raining here, so I can't go for a ride. ](*,)

Yes. The reason for drilling the orifice to the diaphragm chamber is to improve throttle resoponse that MAY be lost when you install free flow filters on CV type carbs. Depending on your particular set up/bike, you may find no significant loss of throttle response and won't benefit from increasing the orifice diameter. Much more often than not it does benefit the throttle response, unless you screw the job up which happens too.

Comment

Working...
                          X