Rear tire for 1980 Gs1100E??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear tire for 1980 Gs1100E??

As some of you know, I just purchased a beautiful '80 GS1100E. The guy that previously owned it replaced both tires...but the rear ain't right. Somebody put on a 110/90-17 IRC Durotour...a fairly decent tire (?) but the wrong size. (The book says '4.50-17' but, that was the old days.)

I think, based upon what I've read, that I need a 120/90-17 or a 130/90-17. What do you GS1100E guys think? Also, is there any difference between tire sizes between 1980 and 1983 with the GS1100's?

Also, what do you think of IRC tires? I've used their tubes in the past with no problems.

Thanks, guys...as always!\\/
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 01-09-2008, 10:42 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

tire size

I have an '83 GS1100G and my rear tire is a 130/90-17 after I converted the old measurement and also checked the manual. I think your's should also run a 130/90-17(4.50-17) on the rear.

Comment

The 110 won't create any problems, unless you are a REALLY agressive rider, just a slight bit narrower than a 4.50. After it's worn out, replace it with a 120 or 130. I've not had any problems with IRC, As a matter of fact many GS's were originally equiped with IRC tires. I know all the 1100E's had 17" rear tires. Not sure, but I think they were also the same width.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If you do the math, a 4.50 converts to 114.3 mm, so a 120 would be the most direct replacement, but a 130 would also do the job.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Most examples of the 1100E are wearing 130/90-17 rear tires and 100/90-19 front. This happens to be the same tire sizes found on the G model 850, 1000, and 1100 shafties.

When in doubt, ask "what would Joe do?". It turns out that Joe Nardy's 1100E is using Pirelli Sport Demons in those sizes.

The Pirellis are without a doubt the finest and most amazing-feeling sporty tires money can buy.

The new Avon RoadRiders are also excellent, and last a bit longer than the Pirellis. They are a bit sharper in profile and thus turn in a bit quicker than the Pirellis. You may or may not prefer the quicker steering -- it's a matter of taste.

Metzelers are also excellent, and have many rabid fans. There's also the superb Bridgstone BT45 and Michelin M50.

Continental also makes the Milestone in this size, but it's not a V rated sporty tire.

A bit beneath those front runners are the Asian brands -- Cheng Shin HiMax, Kenda, Duro, and IRC.

Personally, I can't recommend the Dunlop 404 or the Bridgestone S11 Spitfire. In my experience, both grip well at first, but they wear very quickly and develop bad habits as they wear. The Cheng Shin Barracuda and Marquis are also outdated designs and are not recommeded, although the HiMax is a fine tire with excellent pricing.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks!

You guys are absolutely awesome, as usual!!! I'm running GT501's on my GS750L (which I really like) but think I'll go up to a 130 on the 1100. Many thanks to RPhillips, Steve, BWringer and Lurch for your comments.

Sometimes I think I know what's best but...it's always better to have a little help!:-D

By the way, Steve, I figured the mm/inch math gig but had the feeling that tires have changed in a number of respects since then and that people seem to be running bigger tires.

Comment

I also run the GT501s. Good tire but I wear a rear a year. If you need an extra rear rim I have one that's perfect. Let me know.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey Chucky

Just my 2 cents worth...that Durotour won't last. Put one on my 850 2 years ago(couldn't find anything else at the time) it was toast after 1 season of riding. I am not an aggressive rider. The tire handled well but didn't last.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                  By the way, Steve, I figured the mm/inch math gig but had the feeling that tires have changed in a number of respects since then and that people seem to be running bigger tires.
                  Yeah, I figured that most people know how to convert from the old sizes to the newer metric designations, but there just might be someone out there that didn't know that yet. 8-[

And...bigger tires might look great, but are not always better for handling. If you install a larger tire on the same (narrow) rim, the profile will be pinched into a tighter radius and you might actually have a smaller contact patch on the road. :shock:

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    And...bigger tires might look great, but are not always better for handling. If you install a larger tire on the same (narrow) rim, the profile will be pinched into a tighter radius and you might actually have a smaller contact patch on the road. :shock:

A 130 is really pushing the limit on most GS rims. How wide is the rear wheel? The 120 on my 550T is wider than the stock 4.50 x 17 that was on there from stock.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks!

Bill....Thanks for the offer. The wheel is stock so I should be able to work with it.

Scotto....The durotours were on it when I bought the bike; and, they're almost brand new so I feel like I should get some mileage on them rather than dump them both.

Steve....I totally agree!

Ness....130's are specified on my Gs750 but I know the rims on the 1100 are narrower; I'm gonna measure them to see what I've got. Maybe the 120 would be a better idea.

Comment

more data than you need?

OK, here are some thoughts for debate:

Stock front rim for GS1100E and G models is 3.50v19
                        3.50 inches - converts to 88.9 mm
                        Stock rear rim for GS1100E and G models is 4.50v17
                        4.50 inches - converts to 114.3 mm

These sizes are taken directly from the 1980-83 GS1100 E and G model brochures and conversions done from converter tools I found on the Web.

If you are using the 100/90-19 for the front then this is 12.5% greater than the value of 88.9 mm
                        So if you apply the same 12.5% ratio to the rear wheel of 114.3 mm you come up with 128.59 mm - which is closer to a 130/90-17 tire

I think you have to factor this in for proper wheel width to rim width and realize the 130 is properly sized for the stock rim.

I would also go with the 130/90-17 rear because the GS1100 is a heavy bike with a lot of torque and this size would provide greater contact and material to withstand the load.

I'll agree that narrower tires could provide better and quicker handling on my old British bikes (Triumphs and Nortons) I owned but still think the 130/90-17 is your best solution on the GS1100 model.

Now if I only had better things to spin my brain cycles on....
                        By the way I recently put Cheng Shin Hi-Maxx tires (100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear) on my GS1100G and like the handling, looks, and ride. Since I only have a few hundred miles on them I can't report on wear life span.
                        Steve

Comment

Not quite!

Your numbers are all right except for one thing.....the 4.5 that you refer to is not the width of the rim; it's the width of the tire!!

Comment

have to check??

Chucky,
                            Good point???- now I'll have to go out to my garage tonight and measure first hand.
                            Still the ratio of going 4.50in(114.3mm) to 130mm conversion for the rear is the closest to converting 3.50in(88.9mm) to 100mm for the front when using the current size listings for buying bike tires.
                            Is this enough of an argument for you to run out and buy a new tire to replace your relatively new 110 rear tire? I'm not sure, but if you light up your tires alot then maybe...then you can buy two of the Hi-Maxx for the price of one Dunlop, Pirelli,:-D....

Comment

Ratios

Yeah, I see what you're saying about the ratios being the same but...according to the tire charts (take a look at Dunlop's, for example), the conversion ratios are different for front and rear tires.

I think it's kind of a confusing issue and not as simple as it would seem!

Comment

Working...
                              X