No announcement yet.

Rear tire for 1980 Gs1100E??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best way to decide on a tire sire is to use the tire manufacturers recommendation. The first thing you need to know is the size of your rim. Then go the the tire manufacturers website and look up the tires. You will see a recommended rim width. Get a tire that is for your rim width. I have found that you can go one size over and still have a decent fit. When you go to two steps the tire just doesn't fit right. For example putting a tire that is speced for a 3 inch width rim on a 2.15 just does not work well.

Comment

The stock rear rim on my 1980 GS1100E has 2.50 rim width, stamped on the rim near valve stem. I run Pirrelli 130/90/17

Comment

130/90-17??

I measured my tire on my 1980 GS750L, which is a 130/90-16......based upon the width of that tire and the size of those tires specified on the internet (about 5.1 inchces)...there is zero chance that such a tire would fit on a 1980 GS1100E....there simply isn't enough space to make it fit. I measured the distance between the swing arm brace and the chain guard on the GS1100; it won't fit!!!!!!!

Comments would be appreciated because if someone's got a 130/90-17 on a 1980 GS1100E, I'd be interested to know how you did it.
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 01-14-2008, 12:38 AM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I have a tire mounted in my shed on one. I'll check the tire size tomorrow.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Great!

Thanks, Bill. I'll be interested to see what you find. Paco says he has a 130/90-17 mounted on his '80 1100E but I just can't imagine how he got it to fit based on my measurements. Maybe we'll hear from him...hope so!

EDIT: I measured it again and I was just, plain wrong. It's fairly tight but should fit with no problem. I don't know how I missed it the first time....could have been all the beer I drank.
            Last edited by chuckycheese; 01-14-2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I just had to go outside and check to make sure I wasn't crazy then came back and saw your edit.

Comment

Just in case

kinda hard too see but.....

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  By the way I recently put Cheng Shin Hi-Maxx tires (100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear) on my GS1100G and like the handling, looks, and ride. Since I only have a few hundred miles on them I can't report on wear life span.
                  Well, let me give you a hint or two about tire life with the Hi-Max tires. I put some on my wife's 850L a couple of years ago. Mind you, she is emphatically not a peg-scraper in the corners, so I can't comment on cornering grip, but the wear bars are finally showing in the center of the tread after 14,000 miles. \\/ The tires have never disapointed us, we have ridden on gravel roads and in lots of rain, with absolutely no problems. For an economy-priced tire, they are actually rather respectable.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks!!

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
                    I just had to go outside and check to make sure I wasn't crazy then came back and saw your edit.
                    I never for a minute doubted your judgment!!! Thanks for the information. I realize it's a 'tight squeeze'...but 'do-able'. With that, I intend to go the 130/70-17 route!!

:-D:-D:-D
                    Last edited by chuckycheese; 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM.

Comment

did you mean 130/90-17?

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                        did you mean 130/90-17?
                        Yes!! All these numbers are starting to mix me up even worse!

Comment

80 gs1100 e tire- can i go tubeless?

Can I run a tubless tire on my gs?

Comment

Originally posted by alang07 View Post
                            Can I run a tubless tire on my gs?
                            Depends on the year, pretty sure that spoke wheel = No.

Comment

I have to agree on the Cheng Shin (I have another name for them) Hi-Max.
                              The OEM Pirelli rear was toast in 4k miles and I was in Norfolk, VA when I saw the tire was bald! Had gobs of tread when I left STL....only tire in town in my size (120/90-18) was the Cheng Shin.
                              Pulled the wheel off in their lot, they changed and balanced it and lubed up the wheel splines real nice and I was out the door for about $80. Norfolk Honda folks were pretty nice, too.
                              I put about 8k on it before changing it. Still had tread but it was squaring off a bit due to mostly Interstate riding and I was heading to Deal's Gap so I went with my usual Conti Tour, which costs a bit more but works better.

Comment

I just bought a Cheng Shin Hi-Max. I'll install it on Monday and let everyone know.
                                Alot of praise sung here for these.
                                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                                X