83 GS1100E Gauges on 81 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100E Gauges on 81 GS750

Has anyone tried to adapt the later model gauges from a GS1100E to the earlier GS1100 or GS750? They have two pods for tach and speedo with the fuel and oil gauges outboard. They seem to be more prelavent on E-bay than the GS750 gauges. They are also not limited to the 85 mph reading that mine are.

My gauge cover is severely sun damaged and the faces of the gauges are bleached out. Since I may be going with a front fork assembly from an 82 GS1100E, I may change over everything including the headlight.

I am curious if the wiring can be connected without cutting and splicing.

There are some wiring differences. The 1100 has a diagnostic panel and the 750 has a gear position indicator. You could just change the housing, gauges and faces to get what you need.

Hap

Comment

I'm trying to do the same thing, I've got a GSX750ESD which I'm trying to transplant a set of GS1150 gauges onto. Just plugging it in yielded no response, the instruments didn't even light up the wiring diagrams on BikeBandit.com do not help at all, as it's impossible to read them :?

If someone can point me in the right direction I'll be grateful

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
        There are some wiring differences. The 1100 has a diagnostic panel and the 750 has a gear position indicator. You could just change the housing, gauges and faces to get what you need.

Hap
        The 1100 also has a gear postion indicator. My 83 GS1100E diagnostic panel doesn't work mainly due to a previous unknown messing with the wiring. Only thing that still works is the neutral, turn signals and the high beam lights.
        Don't know how important the battery and side stand lights are to you.
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

If someone has the factory manual for the 1150 I would be very grateful if they scanned the page which shows where the wires for the connectors go (the connectors for the tachometer, lights and gear indicator). I need to compare it with my 750 factory manual.

Alternatively I could make it work with a good description

Comment

Haven't had time for the bike until now - got the gauges mounted - they worked perfectly with no modifications

The only problem is that I can't make the speedometer wire fit (because of length/angle problems)...are these wires interchangeable, or do they differ between the speedo units used on the 750/1100 ?

Comment

Working...
            X