alternate bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternate bearings

Ok I have 1 bearing in my suspension that's still smooth - that's for the sprocket. I need 4 wheel bearings and the swingarm bearings. All together, they cost about $70 + shipping from flatout. Are there any cheaper ones out there, or is that what I should expect to pay? I already got steering head ones from all balls.

Also, my swingarm bearings are completely rusted in. I managed to twist and pull out the inner cage and get the rollers out, but the race is still jammed in there. I've tried hammering them with a metal pipe, they're not budging. I heard welding a bead to it works, but I won't have access to a welder for another week or so.

Haven't done it to swingarm bearings, but when I had to change the steering head bearings on the 650 last month, I used my Dremel with a cut-off wheel to make a couple of cuts and take a section of the race out. Once the section is out, the rest will practically fall out.

Here is the cut:

Here is why I changed the bearings:

With dents like those in the races, the steering had a definite propensity to return to center, if you could get it to leave center in the first place.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

WOW those were bad! Thanks for the tip, I don't know why I didn't think of that, I use my dremel for practically everything else...

Comment

If you're in a city with a bearing supply store, just take the wheel bearings by and they will get you fresh ones for cheap. Be sure to ask for quality.

I don't know if that will work for the swingarm bearings, since you've had to destroy them. Take tha axle and swing arm along, maybe they can measure it and spec the bearings
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If you don't have a local source for the wheel bearings, you can get them online. I have purchased from www.vxb.com and they have worked well for me and the price is not too bad at about $5 a bearing.

In general many other bearings, like the steering head or swingarm, are more specialized and you have to go OEM or a aftermarket supplier like All Balls or Pivot Works. I don't yet know about the GS, but a few bikes actually use standard car type roller bearings on the steering head.

Comment

A good bearing supplier will be able to get you most bearings for your bike he will be able to do this from either the part number or from accurate measurements (od, id & depth) they'll be cheaper too :-D

example gsxr headstock bearing kit from suzi dealer Ł47...... from bearing supplier Ł20 off the shelf & typically top quality ngk or timken bearings at that :-D

Comment

that vxb site is pretty cool. Would something like this be suitable for wheel bearings? http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...Category_Code=

Those are the same measurements as the front wheel bearings. They have some more expensive ones but to me that kind of defeats the purpose of buying alternate ones. Also some of their bearings have max speeds quoted, but not these. Is that a bad sign?

As for the rear wheel, the bearings are 17X47X14 but they have different part numbers for the left and right sides (and different prices too :shock. vxb has this that will fit that size: http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...Category_Code=

They also have these: http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...Category_Code=
              Which list their top speed as 7k rpm. I guess I'll have to do a bit of math to find out how fast that is.

Comment

I think that those ZZ bearings are for electric motors where they get too hot for the plastic/rubber seals. As heat is not a problem in a wheel, I have always used the 2RS type.

The 4 digit number specs the size of the bearing and the suffix is the sealing.

Comment

Got a problem. I tried dremelling out my swingarm bearing races - they're not going ANYWHERE. I can cut into the top part but can't really reach the bottom. I've torn it up pretty good with a punch. I tried filing it but my metal file won't even scratch it. I tried penetrating oil. I'm starting to get worried that I'm damaging the metal tubing behind the race. So far I have a few dremel marks and some punch marks.

This is driving me nuts. Any advice?

Here's what it looks like:

Comment

STANDARD BEARING is everywhere why pay 18~25 bucks when you can buy a timken at 6.50??
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Hmm, haven't found a place to get timkens. I got all the wheel bearings from vxb - very cheap. Ended up buying the swingarm bearings from flatout, I found a couple other places with that size bearing but they weren't any cheaper. Now if I can just get my old swingarm bearings out!

Comment

Be patient it'll come out, keep at it.
                        Hard to tell from your pic. When you say you tore it up pretty good with a punch.......................are you coming in to the bearing from the opposite side of the swing arm? In other words, long puch or other item, punching from the rear of the bearing pushing it out.
                        They can be a bit stubborn to get out but they'll come out.

Comment

Kano Kroil

Have you saturated the frozen race with a good penetrating oil like Kroil? Let it sit a day and try driving it out from the back. Also, once you've let the Kroil seep in, if it still doesn't want to unfreeze, GENTLY play a propane torch around the area where the race is frozen (AFTER wiping the Kroil off the surfaces), not too much, but often the combination of the penetrating oil soak, the taps from the rear of the race, and a LITTLE heat might free it up.
                          1979 GS 1000

Comment

You need to punch the swingarm bearing out from the opposite side.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Any large industrial bearing supply store can supply you the proper size bearings. Use either Timken or F.A.G.G. (I ain't kidding, they're German, and excellent). Both can be had for twice the price of cheapo Chinese generibearings, but are far superior in tolerance and durability.
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:
                              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                              X