Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General head gasket question

installing a new head gasket on a 82 GS450TXZ

The new head gasket metal ring that typically sits right on the outer edge of the piston isn't round - but slightly square. the gasket fits correctly and all of the holes line up but the original had a round metal band circling the piston.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Aftermarket head gasket? Should be OK.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Aftermarket head gasket? Should be OK.
      Are you serious? This is a common thing with an aftermarket head gasket? The metal portion of the gasket would make contact with the piston in some areas if it could stroke far enough.

You have personally installed these gaskets before?

I just don't want to grenade the motor over a wrong gasket.

Thanks for the help man!:-D

Comment

I asked a question if it was aftermarket. You didn't mention the metal portion was in the bore area.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

How about a picture?

Comment

Originally posted by byrdman76 View Post
            installing a new head gasket on a 82 GS450TXZ

The new head gasket metal ring that typically sits right on the outer edge of the piston isn't round - but slightly square. the gasket fits correctly and all of the holes line up but the original had a round metal band circling the piston.

Has anyone ever seen this?
            After re-reading your post, I'm going to assume you mean that the cross-section of the cylinder sealing ring is somewhat square and not the outside diameter with respect to the cylinder bore. If this is the case, then I wouldn't worry about it as it's designed to crush to a final shape for sealing when torqued down. If, however, it's not the same shape as the cylinder bore (round), then consider it defective.

Comment

This is the last time I buy gaskets off eBay...

Just brought a new head gasket from the local Suzuki dealer. I took the gasket up there and they had never seen anything like it either. Nor could they tell me what it was for - and they actually work on quite a bit of the older bikes and used to drag race GS1000's. The original was round and the one that they had in stock was as well.

I ordered a valve cover gasket off eBay for my 550 a few weeks ago and it was for the wrong bike as well - different seller.

From now on if it doesn't have an "S" on the bag, it doesn't get bid on...

Oh well live and learn - watch out for the square head gaskets! :-D

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X