Watch out for Pennzoil !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch out for Pennzoil !!!

Any one running Pennzoil 10-40 should be aware that they've come out with a new one that's "energy efficient". When I first saw it, I thought they had just changed the label but, upon iinspection, I saw that it has the energy efficient additive that's in the lesser weights. The store still had the regular, clutch-friendly Pennzoil 10-40 so I don't know if they'll continue making both or not. Both types were together so I'm guessing the "good stuff" is on its way out.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

I think they are doing that because most european-spec cars run a 10w-40, unlike most here which run 5/10w-30. So it saves them from making 2 different batches, one for us, and one for the rest of teh world. Good catch on that one. :twisted:

Comment

Did it have the "energy conserving" wording in the starburst?

Comment

YES

Yes, Al, I turned it over and checked the circular stamp...sure enough, it's different stuff :roll:
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

whoa nelly!

Guys, I was a firm believer that car oil was fine for bikes. This is not true! Stick with good moto oil. I switched from car oil to castrol actevo(bottom of the line moto oil) Right now it is on sale for $3.99. Seriously, I was losing a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Now NADA, zilch. Ask racers(real racers)they use moto oil. Motorex and amsoil moto oil are good.

Comment

Re: YES

Originally posted by chuckycheese
            Yes, Al, I turned it over and checked the circular stamp...sure enough, it's different stuff :roll:
            I'm gonna watch out for that, but I don't plan to change back to motorcycle specific oil. The fact that it is more than double the price of auto oil suggests to me that we are being ripped off! The R&D and more or different ingredients don't come close to justifying the extra expense. My research indicates that my Mobil-1 15W-50 fully synthetic auto oil will retain more of its viscosity at the end of my 3000km (2000m) cycle than would the more expensive dinosaur motorcycle oils!

Comment

Here's a great oil comparison link, on additives, the new ratings, synthetics, the Mobils, etc.

Comment

Amsoil

Double your drain interval and it will help with the added cost of synthetic oil. Using Amsoil you can safely do this and they have two motorcycle specific oils. 10W-40 for most applications and 20W-50 for HD and V-twins.

This will also lower your oil temp and make your engine run more efficiently.

Comment

Go get the motorcycle consumer news oil test....shell rotella for me in 15/40....used in 350 HP drag bikes with no problems...it is not a energy conserving oil....about 6 bucks a gallon

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
                    Go get the motorcycle consumer news oil test....shell rotella for me in 15/40....used in 350 HP drag bikes with no problems...it is not a energy conserving oil....about 6 bucks a gallon
                    Not yet having read the article you mention, we should remember that racing machines (especially dragsters) rarely put a lot of hours on that oil. I suspect that a 350 hp engine is taken to pieces regularly. The oil might be changed every 30 running-minutes or less. Most of the lube products racers tout are used in engines that are torn down after each race!

Comment

Don Smith that did the research for the MCN oil report a couple years ago has a two parts article coming out in Sport Rider this month and next. It deals with shear values and many other things related to running car oils in motorcycle trannys. Shell Rotella has one if not the highest shear rating in the oil industry. They have now came out with the new 5W40W synthetic which has higher shear values than Mobil one...the first oil to ever top them. Oil is like bu*t hol*s...everyones got one. The reason I resist synthetic oil is cost because I have far to many bikes to change oil in. I have used the mobil 1 bike oil and it seemed fine. BTW my local Mobil distrbutor last I checked got 4.63 a quart...REX OIL 336 472 3000. Not associated with them just passing the info. I did a lot of research on the oils I run and am very happy not paying 3-4 bucks for bike dino oil and do not think automotive oils since the mandated EPA change are wise in a bike. I am on several bike list and the new syn rotella is being widely used in bikes with great results. Lot of these high priced bike oils didn`t do so well when they are tested.

Comment

hey fellas Shell Rotella sounds great but where do I get it around the Phila, Allentown area??? do they stock it at autozone or Pep Boys, or the bike shops? let me know. just picked up the oil filters yesterday and was gonna do the oil change this weekend. Thanks. It seems tough to get the strait skinny on oils. all those big companies just love you to change your oil too often. :?

Comment

I work at pep boys on weekends and during the school year. They stock gallons of 15-40 rotella but if I recall it is diesel specific. Is that the one being run in bikes?

Trevor

Comment

Hi Krash You can get Shell Rotella at Wally world too.It's very cheap there compared to auto parts stores.
                            BTW I went to a tech school there many years ago .Ever been to Dorney Park? I lived about 2 minutes from there up past the nursing home.I hear it's MUCH bigger now!

Comment

Working...
                            X