Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper gasket installation question

Hello GS family! GS750Guy here again.
    Some tell me that when installing new valve cover or fuel bowl gaskets on my 78 GS750 that I should use only the gasket alone and not use any kind of rubber gasket sealants. Their reasonig is that in the case of the carb bowls; any squeeze out could find its way into the fuel system.
    The problem I have with using the gasket alone is that when cleaning off the old gasket it is very difficult to remove all of the old gasket material from the soft aluminum without creating even small scratches in the surface. In my mind the gasket alone would not fill all of these minute surface scratches that could cause fuel and oil to pass through.
    I would love your thoughts on the subject and recommendations for the best gasket sealants to use...... if any. Some of the sealants I have used seem to want to get stringy and ball up under and on top of the gasket possibly causing my fuel bowl leak. I'm also getting ready to check the valve clearance on my 78 GS750 which means removing and replacing the valve cover gasket.
    Thanks,
    GS750Guy.

Don't use any on your float bowls. If you use any silicone (Permatex high heat silicone) use a very thin almost transparent layer and let it cure before installing the cover.
    Ask bwringer about realgasket. Great for valve covers.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Very few sealants will hold up to prolonged exposure to gasoline. The paper gaskets are all you will need on the bowl gaskets.

Comment

If you're using an OEM or Vesrah valve cover gasket, coat it with a layer of grease (use the plain stuff, not the moly grease). It'll seal a little better, and it'll come off easily next time you check the valves.

All other gaskets are installed dry.

Use silicone sealer on your old Chevy if you want, but don't use it anywhere near a motorcycle.

If you need to deal with gouged sealing surfaces, use a very thin layer of hylomar -- it's a very thick, sticky blue inert goop that won't harden or dissolve.

I use and heartily recommend RealGasket lifetime silicone valve cover gaskets for all 8 valve GS engines http://realgaskets.com . Make sure you pay attention to the very, very light torque needed with one of these -- 15 inch-pounds is very little past finger-tight. Since a torque wrench that reads that low is incredibly expensive, you'll have to use your judgement -- maybe half a turn past finger-tight, just enough to compress the gasket a little bit.

Don't forget to get a breather cover gasket, too.

Realgaskets also work well for the 16V engines, but these have more intricate valve covers with thinner sealing surfaces, and there have been incidents of a Realgasket slipping out. OEM or Vesrah might still be best for these.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

ooh, I can chime in on this one! I recently discovered Permatex gasket remover. You spray it on the surface and it starts foaming immediately. It turns into this bubbly gel-like goo that clings on to the gasket. Spray some on, wait a minute, and scrape it off with a piece of plastic. It
          will come right off.

I wish I'd known about it sooner, it would have saved me a LOT of time. I ended up scraping my old valve cover gasket off with an xacto and some carb cleaner, then having to wet sand the mating surface. It was a real mess!

Oh and if you get a realgasket make SURE you get the correct thickness if you have a mechanical tach drive! You might want to call/email them to verify.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Not long after I bought my 1979 GS 750 L I removed the valve cover to check the valve clearance. I installed a OEM gasket, along with a small amount of Permatex silicone. Just a couple of weeks later it started leaking, so I took the cover off again, and found the gasket had shifted enough in one spot to allow the oil to leak. I believe the silicon caused it to move. I installed a new gasket, and it has never leaked since in 10,000 miles. I am going to check the valve clearance this winter and plan to try a Realgasket.

Greg O.

Comment

Any recommendations on how to install the stator cover gasket? Is it OK to use gasket sealant like Permatex Black to "glue" the gasket to the stator cover before installation so it stay put while you're bolting the cover on?
              Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2008, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                Any recommendations on how to install the stator cover gasket? Is it OK to use gasket sealant like Permatex Black to "glue" the gasket to the stator cover before installation so it stay put while you're bolting the cover on?
                Mr. 80GS1000,

Use a couple of long headless bolts. Temporarily screw them into the case to hold the gasket while you slip on the stator cover. I suppose any wood or plastic pencil-shaped object would work too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                  Hylomar.

In general NEVER use silicone unless the part is designed for it AND you are not also using a gasket.

Hylomar is wonderful stuff.
                  Sometimes I use it to glue the gasket to the removeable cover, but you don't really need it.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    If you're using an OEM or Vesrah valve cover gasket, coat it with a layer of grease (use the plain stuff, not the moly grease). It'll seal a little better, and it'll come off easily next time you check the valves.

All other gaskets are installed dry.

Use silicone sealer on your old Chevy if you want, but don't use it anywhere near a motorcycle.

If you need to deal with gouged sealing surfaces, use a very thin layer of hylomar -- it's a very thick, sticky blue inert goop that won't harden or dissolve.

I use and heartily recommend RealGasket lifetime silicone valve cover gaskets for all 8 valve GS engines http://realgaskets.com . Make sure you pay attention to the very, very light torque needed with one of these -- 15 inch-pounds is very little past finger-tight. Since a torque wrench that reads that low is incredibly expensive, you'll have to use your judgement -- maybe half a turn past finger-tight, just enough to compress the gasket a little bit.

Don't forget to get a breather cover gasket, too.

Realgaskets also work well for the 16V engines, but these have more intricate valve covers with thinner sealing surfaces, and there have been incidents of a Realgasket slipping out. OEM or Vesrah might still be best for these.
                    Won't grease increase the chances of the gasket slipping out of place?
                    GS750GUY

Comment

Working...
                    X