what to look for on a GS1100gk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to look for on a GS1100gk

I'm taking a look at an 82 GS110gk tomorrow afternoon. Any suggestions on what to look from those who know about or own this model? It has 20k on it. The color is brown.

Thanks!!

Rust in the gas tank, butchered wiring, tires, brakes, brake lines...Has it been down? Blown fuses? Leaking forks? Oil leaks? Decent-looking oil? Does the valvetrain clatter?

Do the carbs work? Pull a bowl off and see how much junk is piled up in the bowl. If it's a lot, plan on rebuilding the carbs.

Comment

If I were going to check out another one and had the time and tools I would: loosen up the boot on the front U-joint and slide it back to check the joint for any looseness. Then, I'd drain the oil from the rear differential and "secondary" transmission into a clean metal tray to check the condition of the contents. I'd also bring a copy of the Stator Papers with me and test the charging output as described in that article. I'd also remove the tank and check for a melted connector on the right side of the frame about 4" back from the steering head. Speaking of the steering head, I'd put it up on the center stand and check the head bearings. Of course, I'd check engine compression and condition of the intake manifolds. As for cosmetics: I'd pull the side covers and see if there are any broken posts on the underside. Might as well look for ANY leaks (fork seals, differential, head gasket or cam cover gasket or end plugs. Those are the tests that come to mind.
      Good luck on scoring a GREAT bike!
      Willie in TN
      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Did you have pics of it?
        Geez...you guys expect the seller is going to let you drain the oil, take things apart,...etc?
        If I was selling it I would be leerie of some stranger pulling my bike apart to that degree and not asking for some kind of deposit first if it was running good before you touched it and being sure you put it back together properly.
        Besides for $600 you should plan on doing some work anyway...right?

Comment

I agree with not being able to drain oil and such. I'm on the east coast, people aren't that open to intense inspection around here. If I was selling my bike I would not be letting people drain my oil etc. Especially when 5 people are to look at it. I do however appreciate ALL the responses. I'll keep you updated. I just pulled apart my carbs on 650 last night. I'm starting to have second thoughts on running out and purchasing a bike that (more than likely) will need some serious attention. The guy told me on the phone that he ripped on the battery wires yesterday while showing the bike. doesn't sound promised that the thing will even start. hmmm

Comment

Working...
          X