gas tank liner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas tank liner

I went to fill up with gas today and I noticed something hanging in my tank. I pulled it out thinking that it was one small piece. when i started pulling it out half of the lining of my tank came out. It was a dried paint skin with a little rust on one side...what do I do? Do I need a new tank or can you re-line the tank?
    .help!

There is a newer tank coating that comes with the stuff to get the old cream out. I think somebody here mentioned the name of it but I'm not sure. It comes in a rectangular box and has 3 or 4 different bottles/cans in it.

Steve

Comment

I think this is the one you are refering to. http://www.por15.com/restorationkits.html
      The only other thing you can do is to have the tank boiled out at the local radiator shop BUT this requires repainting the tank

Comment

Thanks for the help I just ordered a kit. I hope it's as easy as it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by zeke
          Zeke, please let us know your results...might be one of those jobs in my future :x Thanks. No, not an easy one like the GS...that @#$%! Kwacker tank.

Comment

Originally posted by zeke
            It's easy, it's just time consuming. You might want to call or e-mail them and check on the best way to make sure the old liner gets completely removed before the applying the new one. Thought I remembered something about acetone being used but not sure.
            BTW the Metal-Ready stuff they ship with the kit CAN be reused and is very good at cleaning up rusty bolts and whatnot with minimal fumes.

Comment

Working...
            X