Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Boots ? Pics included.

Hi,

So while pulling my carbs, 2 of my intake boots (is that what these are called) pulled off. they looked like they were rubber cemented on (or fixed) at some point. Here are some pictures. Should I just replace these all together. Two are still intact They are kinds of expensive. Looks like 30 bucks each.

Also,While taking my carb apart for cleaning, I decided NOT to remove the air screw on the carb due to the drilling out procedure of that cap. What exactly does this effect? I read somewhere on here that if yoru bike was idleing ok, not too worry about these.

Yes they are one piece so those are scrap in my opinion. You should replace them all with new or good second hand units.

Re-new the O rings behind them too. You can get those from Cycle O Rings in the links section of site.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Idle mixture...you don't have to remove them, but things may have a different attitude, once everything is cleaned up, rebuilt, replaced, and then, they'll be much more difficult to get at. Me tinks I'd pull them now to save potential headaches later. .02 cents.

Comment

Good afternoon,
        You definitely want to replace all four. You can find them at http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/ for under $20.00 each (excluding shipping and tax).

I have a 1981 GS850G and I was shopping for new ones two weeks ago. This site taught me the importance of functional intake boots and O-rings (new ones).

Comment

Thanks for the link. I saw them at bike bandit for the same amount. I would want to replace all the hardware as well, thus bringing me up to close to 25-30. I should just go ahead a order all 4.

and, thanks for the "idle mixture" suggestion. I wish there was a way around having to drill the cap out.

Comment

If the rubber is still supple, you can re-attach them with Permatex Black Rubber Cement. (Everybody else will tell you this is a bad idea.) It's working for me. Eighty bucks is 10% of the price of an $800 bike.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
              ...and, thanks for the "idle mixture" suggestion. I wish there was a way around having to drill the cap out.
              Once you do get around to drilling out the plugs and setting the mixture screws to their proper settings, you will wonder why you waited so long. :shock:
              It's really not hard to remove the plugs. Simply drill about a 1/8" hole, thread in a drywall screw, wiggle it a bit and pull out the plug.

You say you took your carb apart for cleaning. Did you dip them or just spray and scrub?
              If you dipped them, you would be better off drilling out the plugs now and replacing the o-ring on the mixture screw. Did you get new o-rings for the rest of the carb? A very nice kit is available at a very good price from Cycle O-Rings. Robert Barr is the owner of the store and he is a member of this forum. He can also supply you with the o-rings that go behind your intake boots, as well as stainless screws to replace the crap you will have to remove to get them off.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the black rubber cement goo is what someone did to the boots already so I' prob better off replacing.

Steve,

I bought the DIP, but haven't dipped my first carb as of yet. Tonight I will dip once I get that cap out. LOL, I got this sucker apart, mine as well do it right. Also, I have the O-ring kit. I need to open the envelope it came in. Is it self explainitory as too what o-ring goes where.

BTW, I will need some hand holding when re-installing and tuning to spec. Not sure if you remember but you were my biggest advocate for getting me to clean these suckers. Apparently my float valve wasn't seating. thanks for all the help, hope it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
                  Is it self explainitory as too what o-ring goes where.
                  Based on what I have seen on the cycleorings site, if you can't figure out what goes where, it's time to sell the bike. :shock:

Each set of o-rings comes in its own little zip-loc bag, with a label telling where it goes. It almost does everything but install itself. 8-[

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Bwahaha, I literally just got home, sat down, opened the o-ring envelope and saw that everything was labled, now I'm checking the boards, reading your last post, and feeling dumb. Well no matter, you're a good guy for sticking with me so thanks. I promise the next inquiry will be worth your input. Off to drill that air screw cap.

Comment

Next time I'm over in your neck of the woods, I'll just have to look you up and make you buy me a cup of coffee. OK?

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Are the intake boots the same thing as what the schematic is calling intake pipes at flatout and bikebandit? I just want to make sure. They are about $20 each at flatout. I don't want to make a mistake and just get the flange or something

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman View Post
                          Are the intake boots the same thing as what the schematic is calling intake pipes at flatout and bikebandit? I just want to make sure. They are about $20 each at flatout. I don't want to make a mistake and just get the flange or something
                          That's them. Just remember to also get the O rings that go between them and the heads
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yessir, already got them from Robert Barr. Thanks for the confirmation. This bike just gets pricier and pricier.8-[

Comment

Working...
                            X