Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket

can i make a head gas........ha!

i just got my new head gasket from flatout and its not like the old one. no crush rings around the cylinders. its made up of 6 or 7 metal sheets. never seen one like this. common?

also, do i have to put that strange lubricant on my new valve, or will motor oil work like on the old ones?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2008, 08:03 PM.

Originally posted by catbed View Post
    can i make a head gas........ha!

i just got my new head gasket from flatout and its not like the old one. no crush rings around the cylinders. its made up of 6 or 7 metal sheets. never seen one like this. common?
    Yes - it's the modern way to do gaskets. It's called MLS for multi-layer steel. Works better and lasts longer than old style composite gaskets but it does require more perfectly flat parts in some applications. Check head & block surface for flatness before installing.

also, do i have to put that strange lubricant on my new valve, or will motor oil work like on the old ones?
    Do you mean assembly lube? On the cam lobes & followers? You can use oil if you want but assembly lube is not a bad idea.

Comment

i mean on the valve shafts themselves. and its a completely new valve

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
        i mean on the valve shafts themselves. and its a completely new valve
        Won't hurt. I always use it on internal parts (except rings).

If you're tight for cash just oil everything down with oil before you put the parts together and dump oil over the cams before buttoning it up. If you've got an extra $5 or $10 buy a tube of assembly lube from Autozone and squirt it all over the cam lobes & followers before putting it together.

Are you tearing it down to replace a stuck valve? I've never heard of a valve just sticking all of a sudden. Bending, yes, sticking from lack of use and rust, sure, but just sticking out of nowhere? That's very unusual.

Be sure you know what the problem is before tearing it down...

Comment

it was bent. it got stuck, then hit the top of the piston whilst stuck, and bent.

Comment

Originally posted by robertob View Post
            Won't hurt. I always use it on internal parts (except rings).

If you're tight for cash just oil everything down with oil before you put the parts together and dump oil over the cams before buttoning it up. If you've got an extra $5 or $10 buy a tube of assembly lube from Autozone and squirt it all over the cam lobes & followers before putting it together.

Are you tearing it down to replace a stuck valve? I've never heard of a valve just sticking all of a sudden. Bending, yes, sticking from lack of use and rust, sure, but just sticking out of nowhere? That's very unusual.

Be sure you know what the problem is before tearing it down...
            That can cause the guide to move. Be sure to lap the new valve in to see that it is on center of the seat.

Jay
            Speed Merchant
            http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Do not push new valves through the valve stem seals without lubing them first with moly or motor oil. You will ruin the seal and smoke out the neighborhood. Some valve seals come with a condom to not damage the seal.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

is the head gasket supposed to have a gap between the cylinder, like this?

Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

bumpity-bump

Comment

That head gasket looks fine.
                    Check out here
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X