Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure relief orifice????

No not your urinary meatus....hahaha

Seriously though, Im having some brake drag problem with my front brake. I read some threads on here that suggest cleaning the relief orifice in the master cylinder. Sorry for the stupid question, but how the heck to I get at this orifice? If I remove the banjo from the lever, will I be able to pull out the master cylinder? Obviously, i don't want to disconnect the banjo if I don't have to. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Thanks for reading!

I believe the relief errrr, ummm PASSAGEWAY you're looking for is underneath the plastic cup insert you see in the mastercylinder when you remove the screw on cap. You have to remove the plastic cup. You will most likely need to disconnect the brake line and remove the master cylinder assembly from the handlebars. Reassembly, refilling and bleeding the brake is not usually any big deal. A bit tedious, but not difficult.

Earl
    Last edited by earlfor; 01-17-2008, 01:41 AM.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I concur with Earl's opinion on location and procedure. I will add that the hole is only about the size of a paper clip, so that is a good tool to use to clean it out. When you think you have all the gunk out, put on your safety glasses, spray some brake cleaner through the hole to make sure it's clear. Now you can rinse with fresh brake fluid, put the plunger assembly back in, re-connect the banjo, fill the system with fresh DOT3 or DOT4 fluid and bleed it. While you are at it, you may as well just flush the entire system. Won't take that much more fluid or time.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the fast responses guys. I'll pick up some more fluid and some cleaner tonight. Will let you know if I have any luck. Thanks again!

Comment

Brake drag, are your hoses collapsed inside so the fluid can't easily return to the master cylinder?
          Fairly common problem on old vehicles.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't believe so, but my only evidence is that they bled easily. thanks for the thought though

Comment

Working...
            X