Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reg/Rec.../project...

Greetings all,

I've looked, probably found it and now can't remember. Can you test a Reg/Rec as a process of elimination?
    I have a 81 850GL that runs, but not well. I put new intake boots and "O" rings in it. I have an O-ring set from Robert Barr for the carbs, not installed yet. The mufflers are rotted through on the bottoms(have replacements)also not installed. I want to start going through the bike this winter so its ready for mileage in the spring!! I just can't seem to pick a starting point and get at it. I have a limited budget, but lots of time. HELP!:-D

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

My opinion is do the carbs, and while they are off, check the valve clearances as well. Exhaust is less important, but considering it will only take an hour or so to change, why wait?

Once the bike is running you can measure charge voltage. Change the R/R as needed.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      My opinion is do the carbs, and while they are off, check the valve clearances as well. Exhaust is less important, but considering it will only take an hour or so to change, why wait?

Once the bike is running you can measure charge voltage. Change the R/R as needed.
      YUP...what he said. Get it running well first and then move on to the finer details. Also, it will be much easier to do your electrical testing once things are in tune. By the way...invest in some electrical contact cleaner and a tube of dielectric grease and clean and grease ALL / EVERY connection on the bike. This may well save you from having any additional electrical problems and just might "fix" the ones you think you have now. :?

Comment

Well, I have a place to start\\/. Thank you. I still wonder if the holes in the bottom of the mufflers will effect performance(back pressure) enough to make fine tuning a tough job? I'll have to do a little research on the valve train before attempting that.

Andy
        1984 GS1100GK
        1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
          Can you test a Reg/Rec as a process of elimination?
          Yes, you can. Have you read The Stator Papers? Step 3 outlines how to test the r/r with it off the bike.
          Be aware, though, that this only tests the rectifier, not the voltage regulator. The regulator has to be tested with the engine running.

I still wonder if the holes in the bottom of the mufflers will effect performance(back pressure) enough to make fine tuning a tough job?
          How big are the holes? Many exhaust systems have a small (less than 1/8") hole for condensation drainage.
          Even if they get as big as 1/4" or so, I don't think that will affect more than your eardrums.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I offer Honda RR replacement kits for 40.00 delivered, PM me if interested.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The holes are not the weep holes. They are massive compared to those. I will try to get a picture posted tomorrow of the bottom of the mufflers. Will the Honda R/R work on a GS?

Thanks,

Andy
              1984 GS1100GK
              1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Good egg

Will the Honda R/R work on a GS?
                Mr. ALB80-850,

I got a unit from Mr. duaneage. He's got a wiring diagram to go along with it. The unit bolted right on and worked just fine. He'll even customize the wire lengths and the connectors if you ask him nicely. There may be cheaper solutions and there are certainly more expensive solutions, but there are none that are as reasonably priced, hassle free, and bang-for-your-buck as Mr. duaneage's service. He gets the "BassCliff Seal Of Approval"! :-D

It's good to see you're getting "back in business". Ride on!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Andy,
                  First off good to see you are getting better and back into the "game".

As far as the muffs, you could get some muffler bandage from the auto store for a temp fix. This should get you throught the getting the carbs set up and the bike running.

Now as far as the bike's charging issues I have to recommend cleaning the contacts to the R/R and running a lead from the ground wire of the R/R (black with white trace) directly to the negative post of the bqattery.

I have just experienced issues with my charging and did this mod as some of the guys suggested and it worked aces. Try it first before even checking the R/R. It might save you some grief..and extra work.

As part of my fretting over my charging problem I read everything I could on R/Rs and all the information suggests that the Honda units are much better than the Zuk units. Our buddy Duanage is reputed to have the best deal on Honda R/Rs so if you find you need one I would PM him.

Good luck sorting this out. I know you can do it! Keep us informed of how this goes.

Cheers,
                  Spyug.

Comment

If I bought another GS tomorrow I would do the RR mod before I even started it up, no sense letting the Stator deal with an inferior RR longer than it has to.

OK, maybe that's a little extreme but I feel pretty good about the Honda RRs.
                    Currently plenty in stock, next day shipping with paypal payment
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I too purchased a RR from duaneage, it works great. I even bypassed all the factory wiring for it because the connector for the 12V output was melted.

Comment

I installed a Honda R/R a few years back, before it was fashionable and you could still grab them on eBay for $5. It's performed flawlessly ever since.

If I were starting on another GS, I would save a lot of time wiring and trawling fleaBay and order up one of Duane's units.

Honda used a much higher quality supplier for these (Shindengen) and they work in a slightly different way than the GS regulators.

For the muffler holes, they will affect tuning, so patch them up with a muffler bandage kit until you can score an exhaust here or on eBay.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                        X