Where to mount a Cigarette Lighter Outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to mount a Cigarette Lighter Outlet

Got a question for you savvy mechanics out there. I have an 81 GS850GL, without a faring or windshield. I recently purchased a GPS and need to mount a Cigarette Lighter outlet on the bike somhere to plug it in. I also have added a battery tender for the winter months and have the 2 prong plug I could use to wire in the socket. I want to mount the socket somehere that it wont be unsightly or prone to dirt and moisture. Anyone have any suggestions?

I replaced my cigarette lighter connections with DC plugs - like you find on wall warts (transformers). They're smaller and easier to place on your bike.

Comment

Where is your 2-prong charger plug? Why not re-wire the GPS plug with a matching plug. Chances are that you will not be using the GPS and the charger at the same time, so they should be able to share the same plug on the bike.

If you also use that power cord for the cage, consider getting another power cord so you can dedicate one to the bike.

By the way, which GPS did you get?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've been thinking about this as well, and as much as I would like to have a cigarette lighter on my bike, I don't think I could hide it good enough. But what if I wired in a female usb connection into the harness. Both my GPS and Phone run off of USB. Would there be something else needed for this kind of setup. Would I need some sort of regulator or something?

Comment

Yes, you would need a well-regulated 5-volt power supply. That is what powers USB devices.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

TOM MLC has cigarette lighter sockets on his... I don't remember them being intrusive..

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

On my wife's bike, we have handlebar set-backs, and I have installed a 1/4" stereo headphone jack there. Why stereo? We have a couple different items that might plug in there, some are better if powered all the time, others don't mind going on and off with the key, so I have constant and switched power in the jack.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                ...............We have a couple different items that might plug in there.......
                Enough said. But how do you get the bike into the bedroom??????????

Comment

Since everyone is mentioning their favorite connectors to use instead of a cigarette lighter plug, let me recomend one; anderson power pole connectors, also known as sermos connectors.

They are shown on the very top of page 754 in the mcmaster carr catolog at http://www.mcmaster.com/.

You can get them at most model airplane or car hobby shops too.

Comment

Go with Powerlet connectors. They are available at Whitehorse Press and probably some other outlets. I added a cigarette lighter plug to my bike to power a small 12v compressor, and placed it under the seat. There's usually enough room to lay one there without interfering with anything. I plan on upgrading to the powerlet connectors when adding a power outlet for GPS. I tried the lighter plug, and it doesn't always maintain a reliable connection. Check the second link for a quick course on connectors.

JP
                    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                    1992 Concours
                    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                    2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                      GAD-ZOOKS :shock: :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                        Big doors. :shock:

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Cigarette lighter attachment

Suggestion from the wife:
                          Mount cigarette at end of exhaust, run bike for a few minutes, should light quite nicely....:-D

Comment

I'm curious what kind of GPS you have also. I bought an IWAY 250c made by Lowrance and love it. It runs off 12 volts and has a battery that lasts about 6 hours on a charge if I don't plug it in. I wired it in directly and just leave the little plug near the handle bar mount where the GPS mount is.

Comment

Dennis Roy>>>>I don't know if you were asking me or another about which GPS unit I use, but I use the Navman F20. I probably would've choosen something else if I was paying full price, but I couldn't pass this up for the price. I am starting to like this unit the more I use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X