Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS Owner

Hello all,

I bought a 1977 GS750 last year and I am finally getting around to doing some work on it. I have a few questions that I'd appreciate some help with!
    - The exhaust is a 4-into-1 RH side, the problem is that it came as a straight pipe. What aftermarket muffler could I fit onto the bike?
    - What is a normal idling RPM on the bike?
    - It's been sitting for a few months due to a move, now it's running very rich and putting out a good amount of white smoke. Would a carb cleaner additive fix this?

Thank you in advance!

- Ben

Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of the GS.

Can't help wth a muffler recommendation but I'd think most anything would work.

Idling wise you want to shoot for 1100 rpm.

If the bike has sat for a long time, the fuel system will need to be cleaned. It is likely the carbs are gummed and the tank might be rusty. Get rid of all bad gas. Fill with freash gas and add a little Seafoam conditioner. Fresh plugs and charged battery and crank her over.

To do the job right, you should pull the carbs, disassemble and physically clean ( see the tutorial). In a addition you will likely need to reset the valves and it might be necessary to clean the tank ( of rust) and possibly reseal it. Rust or crud in the fuel will get into the carbs and clog the jets...count on it.

Get the bike going first, take a nice ride then get to the cleaning in time for Spring.

All the information you will ever need is here so read all you can and ask any question s you may have.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by straight pipe. If it's a Yosh. they were straight (same size from collector to end). May make or find a baffel for it. If someone has fabricated a straight pipe from collector to end, I wouldn't have a clue what may work. 850 to 1000 rpm, just whatever sounds right. Seafoam has a good reputation, may not fix it, but sure won't hurt anything. A good ride, at least 20 mi. wouldn't hurt either, these bikes like to be ridden.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        A good ride, at least 20 mi. wouldn't hurt either, these bikes like to be ridden.
        Amusing. 8-[ I ride 50+ miles to meet the guys for coffee to find out where we are going riding for the day. :shock:

\\/

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for all of the information. To clarify on the pipes: There are no baffles left in the pipes, and it's loud. Just wondering what my options are...

Comment

Hey take a ride with Steve, seriously, that'll be really good for it. What I meant was, don't just crank it up & let it get half warmed up riding around the block, or idleing in the garage, that probably won't help much. The more you ride it, the better the bike will like it.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. SDBen,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Further let it be known that good standing can be improved with pictures (not you, your bike)! :grin:

In addition to the carb rebuild series, I recommend visiting the garage section via the GSR Hompage and check out the Stator Papers. There's also a lot of great information in the Old Q&A section. I have some documentation on my little BikeCliff website to help get you familiar with doing valve adjustments and other routine maintenance tasks (note that it is 850G-specific). Other "user contributed" informational sites include those of Mr. bwringer, Mr. tfb and Mr. robertbarr.

If the fuel system isn't gummed up too badly, Sea Foam (available at most auto parts stores) might get it running better. But the conventional wisdom is to do the job right and follow the procedure in the carb rebuild series, usually including replacing all the O-rings and all intake boots and airbox boots.

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Cliff,

Thanks for the info! I'll have the bike out this weekend; will take some pictures and have them up.

Ben

Comment

Hey mate,

One thing you can do with your pipes is to make the baffles. Get some exhaust pipe, drill a heap of holes in it then wrap with steel wool. Or if you really want to do something cheap, get some chicken wire and stuff that in the pipes.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X