• Show
Clear All

Best Tires for 83 GS1100E ?

What are the best tires to get for an 83 GS1100E
    I do a lot of high speed running over 120
    I dont care how long they last
    The bike now has a set of old dunlop tires and feels unstable over
    100 mph. :shock:
    I changed the shocks to progressive units which helped a little, but the tires
    should have been done first.
    I will be rebuilding the front forks with new springs and seals plus i a putting in new tapered needle bearings in the head.

Thanks
    Steve

Originally posted by steve lebow View Post
    I do a lot of high speed running over 120
    Yeah that morning commute on I-95 can be a real pain. :shock:

Wow, can't pull out a specific recommendation for those parameters, but just about any of the tires would work. I have run Dunlop E3 tires on my Wing, but not at those kinds of speeds. The tires are rated for that speed, and they tend to last a while, so maybe their durability will offset the extra wear due to the high speeds.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by steve lebow View Post
      What are the best tires to get for an 83 GS1100E
      I will be rebuilding the front forks with new springs and seals plus i a putting in new tapered needle bearings in the head.

Thanks
      Steve

I think youre going to hear Pirelli Sport Demons from a few people around here. Especially if your running 3 digits. Any air in those forks ? Are you looking at the front end for any reason ? Any wobble or weave ? Seems like most do. I overhauled my front end because of weave and am still trying to get it set up right. I think the headbearing torque is key.
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-21-2010, 10:36 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Not Dunlops!!! At those speeds, you need a soft sticky tire. From the experience I've had with Dunlops, & I've tried several over the years, they wear fast, like they are soft, but they aren't sticky. Maybe Pirelli Sport Demons, or a sporty Metzler, if you can find one in your size. Everyone will have an opinion. but that's my opinion, & it ought to be yours.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Changing the front springs and getting sticky tires will make an amazing change to the handling of your bike. I have the Demons per the recommendations of Joe N, Brian W and others and they are worth every penny. With the speeds your are running you might also consider upgrading the front and rear wheel bearings to the All Balls replacements while you have the wheels off. I only touch three digits on rare occasions and the Demons feel very planted on the road.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
            Changing the front springs and getting sticky tires will make an amazing change to the handling of your bike. I have the Demons per the recommendations of Joe N, Brian W and others and they are worth every penny. With the speeds your are running you might also consider upgrading the front and rear wheel bearings to the All Balls replacements while you have the wheels off. I only touch three digits on rare occasions and the Demons feel very planted on the road.
            Another vote for Sport Demons. They are very sound at 3 digits. They will wear quicker than some others though. Quite a sticky compound. What price do you put on safety? You can run higher pressures and still be sure footed.
            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Pirelli Sport Demons or Avon RoadRiders, hands down.

Both are excellent handling tires, both are V speed rated (149+mph, I think), and both are thoroughly modern tire designs.

The Avons are a bit pointier and quicker steering than the Pirellis, they last a bit longer, and they're significantly cheaper than the Pirellis. So guess what's on my bike right now... :mrgreen:

There are also other excellent V-rated tires in GS sizes, including the Bridgestone BT45 and the Michelin M50/A50. I haven't tried either, but I'm sure they're also great.

Many also swear by their Metzelers.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X