I'm not really sure what to do now....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not really sure what to do now....

I love this forum. I look at it all the time and have rarely had to ask a question because most of my answers can be found in the archives.....however I seem to have some problems....
    I've got an 81 GS750E and a while back I had someone rebuild my carbs....
    ( I had a K&N air filter on it and the guy said he adjusted the carbs to fit the filter, not knowing anything about motorcycles yet I said thanks and went on my way)......
    But It still ran rich so thinking the carbs were good I replaced the coils. Ran much better but still rich. During the winter I went ahead and replaced my base and head gaskets and all the piston rings...(the pistons look great by the way)...still runs rich. So I adjusted the floats....and still runs rich.
    So NOW I just replaced the parts in my carbs with carb rebuild kits (becuase I dont know what the guy did to them and he can't remember), readjusted the floats, and will be putting the carbs back on tomorrow.
    I have a lingering question in the back of my mind though....did I order the wrong coils and I'm just not getting enough spark? My coils are Daya Coils that are 3 OHM. Is that right for my bike?
    And is there anything else that I can look at that would make it run rich? I'm running out of ideas......sorry for writing a novel but thanks in advance.

Les

The green 3 ohm coils are correct for electronic ign. Depends on how rich it is running Try turning the air mixture screws On the intake side of the carb out an additional 1/2 3/4 turn, assuming they have had the tamper proof caps removed. Other wise It may be that whoever rejetted the carbs for the pods went too large on the jeting

Comment

Air obstructions can make it run rich too. I had a devil of a time before I discovered the -gasp- mouse nest in my intake plenum. Everything went really well after that. 8O

Comment

If he didn't buy a jet kit to go with the K&N he probably just shimmed the stock needle and went to bigger mains. See if there is a washer under the e-clip on the needles. If so put the washer over the clip or remove it altogether and see how it runs. If it ends up too lean try a thinner washer under the clip.

Comment

It sounds like the person who worked on the carbs the first time, when he "compisated" for the K&N filter, may have over compisated, did you compair the jet sizes between the ones that were in the carbs, with the ones in the kit?
          also you could check to see just how much power is reaching the coils, high system voltage drops are pretty common with thses bikes.
          reading the voltage at the battery just shows you how well the battery is being charged, you will need to check the voltage at the coils, and it is also a good idea to also check voltage at the lights as well.
          coils can be sensitive to the voltage they get, if the voltage they get is to low, they will not put out a very strong spark, causing conditions similar to what you are seeing.

Comment

Working...
          X