base gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

base gasket

do i have to take the pistons out of the cylinder block to remove the cylinder block? because it has roller bearings? if so, does that mean i need 2 ring compressors? and how do i get the pistons back in the block. i know you usually tap them with wood or plastic but from underneath?

ps. meant to change the title but i guess you cant.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2008, 12:28 AM.

The pistons stay with the crank until after you have removed the cylinder block. Yes, you will need 2 ring compressors, but I am sure there is a quick and dirty way to accomplish that.

I have not been that far into an engine, but have read many accounts of it, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 8-[
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The bottom of the cylinder liners have a pretty good taper so you don't need ring compressors. Easiest is to get a mate to guide the pistons into the cylinders and squeeze the rings inwards as you slowly drop the block downwards.

If you're doing it on your own I find it easiest to knock up my own ring compressors as the ones on sale here are too deep and won't fit. Cut a strip of thin tin about 1 inch wide and about an inch longer than the piston circumference. Wrap it round the piston and bend the over-lap back. Drill an 8mm hole (roughly that size) through on the now bent back overlaps. Put in a bolt and nut, tighten up your new compressor on the piston so that you can slide it down fairly easly and gently tap the block down, displacing the compressor as you do so.

I haven't got any pics but it's effectively a cheap and rough copy of:

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I have used large adjustable hose clamps to compress the rings. Buy two and do the inner pistons first, then remove and reuse for 1 and 4. It takes a little futzing to get the tension correct, you want to compress the rings yet be able to slide the hose clamp up and down on the piston. A second set of hands helps when reassembling cylinder block over pistons.

When removing pistons, be sure to block off the large hole to the crankcase to keep the wrist pin circlip from disappearing on you. (Please don't ask me how I know...) Likewise label where each piston goes (keep pistons in same cylinder they came from). Have fun, you can do it.

Comment

i dont plan to take the pistons off their connecting rods. i was wondering if there was a way to take the block off without taking the pistons out of it. i just need to replace the base gasket.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2008, 12:48 PM. Reason: enlightenment

Comment

It may be possible to leave pistons in cylinder block but would prove to be very very difficult. If you could pull cylinder block up to a point where the piston wrist pin could be removed without pulling rings past bottom of cylinder skirts, it may be possible to do this. Realistically, you will need to pull the pistons out. From there it is remarkably easy to remove pistons from connecting rods (just need to push out wire circlip from groove). I would not hesitate pulling pistons out and off to clean out ring grooves and decarbon tops. Then you can check cylinder for wear also. Yes putting piston back into cylinder block is bear but with patience and a lot of motor oil, they will go back together.

By the way, if this is your 850, it has plain bearings on crankshaft. All of the shaft drive bikes utilize plain bearings. If you are splitting cases, you could separate connecting rods at crank and take pistons out top of cylinder block. I wouldn't recommend since usually top of cylinder has ridge of built up carbon that would play havoc with rings.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
              By the way, if this is your 850, it has plain bearings on crankshaft. All of the shaft drive bikes utilize plain bearings.
              Nope. Wrong. Dead wrong. Wrong wrong wrongitty wrongo.

1000G/GL, 1100G/GL, and 850G/GL engines have roller bearing cranks.

650G engines are the only GS shafties with plain bearings.

Wanna see?

(Here's the '79 850G engine I rebuilt for a friend this winter. It's for sale in the parts for sale thread, too...)
              Image Gallery: http://pix.bwringer.com/v/bwringer/79_850_Engine/

The later GS850 engines are have exactly the same crank.

Here's the GS850 engine I rebuilt last winter:
              Last edited by bwringer; 01-20-2008, 01:38 AM. Reason: more info
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Are you sure? :?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My bad..... I blame it on the cold. I am sure Brian is correct. If anyone needs me I will be in the woodshed...

I think I will stay with the 650 discussions, have some experience with them. Again, sorry to upset the masses. Can I hear a "Shafts rule"!!

Comment

SHAFTS RULE!

Now then, to answer the original question...

Whenever the head is removed, you must also remove the cylinders to replace the base gasket and o-rings. These are glass-brittle, and the slight movement will make them leak. And then you're right back where you started.

You should also remove the pistons (very easy at this point), clean them up as advised above, and install new rings and circlips. I've had excellent results using a Flex-hone very briefly (about 5 seconds per cylinder) to freshen up the bores so the new rings will seat. GS850 bores take a very long time to wear out, so unless there's some sort of bad damage, you likely won't need to go to an oversize until well after 100,000 miles.

I've never had any success at all with ring compressors. I just gently, gently, gently squeeze the rings with my fingers to lead them into the bores and work the block down onto the pistons two at at time. No force is needed besides the gentlest of thumps with the heel of the palm. Obviously, this is about 100X easier with an assistant, but it can be done solo.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

got the pistons back in without the compressor, and i got the head back on, about to torque it down when i remebered about a bolt that broke off. the one in front of the head.

im not gonna replace the rings or circlips because the bike only has 8k miles on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X