need help in all ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help in all ways

i just recently got a 77gs 750. it runs ok, i know that the i have a noise from the exhaust lifter all the way on the left. i just rebuilt the carbs, cleaned them out, set the main jets to 1 turn out, setidle jets to 1.5 roughly. installed a boyer branson ignition. i'm haveing a little trouble being sure i'm getting the right timing, it runs ok. but my question is the cylinders on the left(shifter) side are very rich even when i turn both mixture screws to .5. has anyone seen anything like this. i've tried new plugs with little effect. the bike has never run well thats why i replaced the points, and it seems to be all stock. does anyone have an idea.

litshoot: the circuit you are working on has fuel and air going through it. the screw you adjust increases or decreases the amount of air that goes in to the mix...the more you screw it in the more fuel is allowed in to the circuit,,,the further you screw it out the more air you allow in the circuit.....good luck and keep us posted on your success

Comment

Originally posted by litshoot View Post
      i know that the i have a noise from the exhaust lifter all the way on the left.
      check and adjust your valve clearances, they need it by now.

installed a boyer branson ignition. i'm having a little trouble being sure i'm getting the right timing, it runs ok.
      Set the timing at the original setting for now.

i just rebuilt the carbs, cleaned them out, set the main jets to 1 turn out, setidle jets to 1.5 roughly. but my question is the cylinders on the left(shifter) side are very rich even when i turn both mixture screws to .5. has anyone seen anything like this. i've tried new plugs with little effect. the bike has never run well thats why i replaced the points, and it seems to be all stock. does anyone have an idea.
      Get the valves and timing right, check your compression...
      Carburetion issues will make a lot more sense once you know these are correct.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i feel kinda dumb, i was under the impression by turning the screws in that it limited fuel flow. well that should help some. i had a little quesition with timing it. i lined it up at tdc the way it says too then when i rev to 4500 the mark is way off of where i am at tdc.
        do you usually time it by tdc of where its at at 4500 because at the moment their is a big difference.
        also i've noticed that it doesn't like to return to idle after i ride, will sit around 2000rpm and after a complete stop may slow down to curb idle. i remeber hearing something about what this means, but for the life of me can't remeber. thanks .

Comment

i i was under the impression by turning the screws in that it limited fuel flow.
          Let me toss my limited bit of understanding into the pot. The bottom screw controls how much fuel is put into the idle mixture. The amount of air is controlled by the air jet in the intake throat of the carb. The top screw controls how much of the mixture is allowed into the cylinder.
          Can somebody please agree with that or correct my limited thinking on these VM carbs?

also i've noticed that it doesn't like to return to idle after i ride, will sit around 2000rpm and after a complete stop may slow down to curb idle. i remeber hearing something about what this means, but for the life of me can't remeber. thanks .
          This the a classic symptom of a lean mixture. Could be because your mixture is wrong, or it could be due to a leak between the carb and the head. A primary culprit here is the o-ring between the intake tube and the head. These o-rings are available from Cycle O-Rings.
          If you do have a leak, it makes no sense to try to adjust the mixture at the carb, so fix the leak, then adjust the mixture ar the carbs.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well the plugs on all but one cylinder were sooty while one was nearly clean but lean.
            i thought the screw on top was idle
            the screw on bottom was primary
            and i remember that clockwise makes the bike lean.

someone please correct me.
            also which mark should the timing be on at 4500rpm

thanks

Comment

Working...
            X