pilot mixture screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilot mixture screw

Well, I went to see about taking the caps off of the pilot mixture screws on the GS1100G and found that a previous owner had already done so. That was the good news. Then I noticed they had buggered up the #4 carb screw and am left with a screw I can't turn and trying to figure out how to get it out and replace. Any thoughts on this?

Is the head buggered up or is the screw just stuck? If it's stuck, soak it with PB Blaster overnight (or longer) and it should work.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The head of the screw was pretty butchered up by a previous owner and I'm unable to get any grip now and it won't turn. I let it soak overnight but any edge for a flat head to grip on is gone. I was going to try and tap downward on the screw with a flat head to see if I can dig in to the soft brass and then try to turn but didn't know how much "pounding" I can do without causing any damage to the insides. I think the head and threads are about a 1/4 inch deep?? I'm open to any suggestions....thanks

Comment

Are you using a new screwdriver, or at least one with a fresh, sharp tip? You might be able to dig a fresh bite with that. Just use gentle tapping, no gorilla moves. :shock:

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

since you have to replace it anyway, drill a hole in it and get a screwdriver that is slightly larger than to hole. tap it in and it should turn out. dont drill all the way though. about 1/8 inch.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Do you all think that a 1/8" reverse drill bit might work? While drilling the hole 1/8" deep it might actually draw the screw upwards? and then carefully tap in a sharp blade screwdriver to finish getting it out?
            Dumb question- normally will the screw, spring, washer and o-ring all come up and out of the carb housing for easy replacement while still mounted upright on the bike?
            see link:

Comment

I'm in the process of cleaning my carbs. Carb #4 is soaking. I was able to drill out the cap of the mixture no prob and get the whole assembly out, however the washer and o-ring took some fuss. Meaning it did not come out with the screw and spring. You'll have to work it out.

Also, when cleaning carb #1 I couldn't screw it out. It screwed it to the top of the hole but it wouldn't budge further and the head of the screw was stripping. I gently screwed it back in tight..... I then carb soaked the CARB BODY WITH SCREW IN TACT. I tried unscrewing it after and it still was a chore, so I left it be. Does anyone think I killed my o-ring? Can carb fluid get to the other side of that screw and ruin my o-ring? IF so, am I screwed?

Comment

If you CAREFULLY drill 3 or 4 small holes along the length of the original slot in the mixture screw (not deep) you should be able to TAP a screwdriver in & undo as normal

As said above a good soak will help & sometimes a SMALL amount of heat works wonders too :-D

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  ... normally will the screw, spring, washer and o-ring all come up and out of the carb housing for easy replacement while still mounted upright on the bike?
                  If you have access to the screws with a screwdriver, that should not be a problem.

Originally posted by maro View Post
                  I'm in the process of cleaning my carbs. Carb #4 is soaking. I was able to drill out the cap of the mixture no prob and get the whole assembly out, however the washer and o-ring took some fuss. Meaning it did not come out with the screw and spring. You'll have to work it out.
                  One method I have used to get the washer and o-ring out is to use a drywall screw, give it about a 1/4 turn, pull out the washer. Repeat for the o-ring. Be careful that you don't push hard enough to damage the small hole below the o-ring.

Originally posted by maro View Post
                  ... I then carb soaked the CARB BODY WITH SCREW IN TACT. I tried unscrewing it after and it still was a chore, so I left it be. Does anyone think I killed my o-ring? Can carb fluid get to the other side of that screw and ruin my o-ring? IF so, am I screwed?
                  If you consider that on the other side of the o-ring is a hole that fuel mixture usually flows through, yes, the o-ring can get wet with cleaner fluid.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If you consider that on the other side of the o-ring is a hole that fuel mixture usually flows through, yes, the o-ring can get wet with cleaner fluid.

Well, that's a problem. If gasket is shot due to the carb clean....How bad off am I. I'm really afraid to make an attempt to force the screw out.

Comment

Maro
                      Since we are hijacking thread, I would not get too excited about one stuck screw. While it would be preferable to remove stuck screw to inspect, clean needle and replace oring, the high cost of stripping the threaded body of the carb would prevent me from attempting. If you bung up the threads, you will most likely be looking for new set of carbs. Unless you have soaked carb bodies for days, it is unlikely that the o ring has dissolved to nothing.

What did the other oring and mixture screws look like? Were they in relatively good shape or really gummed up? If not bad I would back it about 2 turns out and reassemble and see how it runs. Set them by highest idle method and see how it runs. If really bad on #1 and can't adjust mixture satisfactory, then you know your worrying had merit. If so, then you might very carefully try to drill away the top thread or two to facilitate screws removal but again it would be a last ditch effort for me.

Comment

Sorry for the Highkjack. Thanks for the reply. I agree with your thoughts!

Comment

Working...
                        X