valve shim check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve shim check

OK...this is a pretty common thread topic but here goes.
    I am using the tie wrap tool(less than a dollar if you buy them!) to hold valves open. Works easy and excellent and I can use 2 at a time to hold multiple valves open while swapping shims around. Thanks to the GSR forum for that.
    And thank you to BassCliff for your helpful website tutorial!
    I have to drop sizes on all 8 valves and managed to use the 4 smaller ones by rearranging shims but I still need 4 new ones. I have three size 2.65X mm and 1 unknown (guessing it is probably 2.65 based on trial and error) and I need two 2.55 and two 2.60 (but possibly one 2.50 if I estimated wrong). Anyone want to trade even up??
    thanks

If you can't find anyone to trade with you, new ones are less than $5 at Z1. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
      OK...this is a pretty common thread topic but here goes.
      I am using the tie wrap tool(less than a dollar if you buy them!) to hold valves open. Works easy and excellent and I can use 2 at a time to hold multiple valves open while swapping shims around. Thanks to the GSR forum for that.
      And thank you to BassCliff for your helpful website tutorial!
      I have to drop sizes on all 8 valves and managed to use the 4 smaller ones by rearranging shims but I still need 4 new ones. I have three size 2.65X mm and 1 unknown (guessing it is probably 2.65 based on trial and error) and I need two 2.55 and two 2.60 (but possibly one 2.50 if I estimated wrong). Anyone want to trade even up??
      thanks
      Lemme check my stock again. I think i have at least one 2.55 and a couple 2.60s...ermm wait, i dunno bout the 2.60s i think im thinkin of my 2.65s i had to trade for the 2.60s i used...i think...i'll double check

Comment

thanks Steve, I saw them on Z1 for $4.75 ea plus $6 shipping but they are out of 2.60mm shims
        Cafekid, if you have (2) 2.55mm and (2) 2.60mm to trade, the 4 would probably fit nicely in an envelope with (2) 41 cent stamps and I'll mail mine back to you when I replace. I'd even take (1) 2.50mm if you had it.
        thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X