Switching to a different battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching to a different battery

I am going to be relocating my battery up under the cowl of my cafe seat on my '83 GS650G. I'd like to go with SMALLER and definitely a sealed, maintenance free battery so that I can lay it on it's side.

When shopping for a battery what do I need to look for in terms of specifications to know that the battery will work ok with my bike?

I'm not trying to go super small, just a little smaller than stock so that I'll have a bit more room to play with under the seat.

I'm not always able to trickle my battery, so I'd like to get something that holds the best charge possible.

I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts, suggestions, comments, or story's from experience.

Thank you All.

Try to match the amps and the CCA as close as you can, especially if your starting/riding in colder temps.

best solution: Fab a horizontal battery holder and lay a sealed gel type flat so that you can use a larger one without vertical interference.

Here's one under the seat of a cafe mod.

Side view.
    "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

A good sized battery is the yuasa ytz10s. I mounted one behind the transmission case right above the swingarm. I made my own battery box out of aluminium and the battery sits there hidden.

Comment

Yeah, go with a gel type on it's side under the seat glass. Worked great on a Brit I did. Always good to have that open space in the frame, just looks good. Not a problem if all you're moving is batt. and ele. At least there is no oil bag in the way! I also bought a charger from J&P cycles that had connections I hard wired in. Just park the bike, pull the pigtail from under the seat plug it in...trickle charge baby! Just make sure the one you buy has he tender option. It will sense when to charge, stop, maintain.

Comment

Ryan's (first_timer) Yoshi replica GS1K uses a very small gel cell tucked under the swingarm, and I don't think he's had any trouble with it. I don't know how big it is, though, or its electrical rating.

However, to pull this off you have to have the carbs dialed in perfectly so that the bike starts instantly, and the charging system must be likewise flawless.

It's hiding just behind the rear brake lever pivot in this photo -- below the pivot, you can just see the little aluminum tray/heat shield the battery sits in:
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

That's pretty nice, only I wouldn't trust my tuning to be that precise! Sort of like really old skool customs with just a capacitor that held a charge. Of coarse all you had was a kick start.
            The yosi rep looks sweet, just hide the break res somewhere and have the whole space open.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I just have a couple of questions. Sorry to sound like a noob, but I don't know electrical for $hi+.

What exactly does CCA stand for? and what am I sacrificing by going to a lower Amp/Hour? Is from 12(stock) to 9 a big drop in performance.

Again...I don't have the option of trickle charging all of the time because I don't have a garage, so when I want to charge it, I have to take it inside.

I do want a small battery, but nothing so small that it has no cranking power. Although I'd like it to be and hope it will be by spring, my bike is not 100% perfectly tuned, so yes, when it's a little cold or it's been sitting a bit, It does require a lot of choke and a few cranks.

Comment

CCA= Cold Cranking Amps.
                Actual battery size (the dimensions) might not matter if you use a sealed gel cell. You can install them anyway but upside down. (maybe even, not 100% on this) 12 to 9 I think IS a big drop,but that's me. I'm not an ele. wizard either and I managed to change batt. locations no problem.
                I think I'm local to you, so if you need help... I have all tools needed even a welder (if need to make supports) Garage is PACKED but can always find some room.:-D

Comment

I have somebody who has the shop and tools to help me dowhat I need, but thank you Bowzer. Where at in Chicago are you located? PM me if you want...we can chat Chicago.

I'm not trying to over analyze this situation....I just don't want to comprimise too much dependability and make my bike need more maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                  X