yippee cleaned my first set of carbs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yippee cleaned my first set of carbs!

i cant believe it actually worked, ive never had a completely successful repair in my life and i swear my heart sunk right before i cranked the bike because i thought it might now work. well it did but not after a lot of backfiring and sputtering. heres where i stand now, it sputters if you rev quickly or past about 5k and runs only on open choke, the quesiton is does it matter if i adjust the jet needles or just adjust the mixture via the choke? because i will if i have to but i think i'll just screw it up more if i screw with the needles. if i do have to adjust the needles where do i start? should i just put them all way the closed and slowly open them and use hit or miss and also what should i set them too?

btw i deserve a pat on the back because i did em completely blind, no manual

The first thing to do is check the float height adjustment. It is critical on CV carbs. If that doesn't do the trick raise the needles if you have adjustable needles. If you don't have adjustable needles they are stock. Don't try to get by using the choke. It may help in a certain rpm range but it will be way off in others and is not the right way to deal with it.

Comment

this isnt a gs machine , its an 83 virago the floats just pivot up and down

Comment

There should still be an optimum heighth for them. Too high of a fuel level makes the bike run rich and too low leans the bike out. You need to know what the recommended heighth is and measure that with the carbs upside down with the floats just resting on the float needles, not pressed down. Then you measure from what is really the bottom of the float to the surface the bowl gasket fits on the carb body.

Comment

the carbs are horizontal

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
            X