1983 GS1100E Seat Splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100E Seat Splitting

Any way to stop this? My original seat is not ripped yet 8-[ , but it will look like this soon as I can see the stress at the seam .

I guess I could always remove the cover and try to back up the seam with more material that distributes the stress out across two or more panels.

I'm wondering if anybody already did this (before or after a rip) and how it worked out.

Posplayr
    Last edited by posplayr; 01-22-2008, 07:32 PM.

That is a common place for the seat on the E series to rip. I replaced mine with one from B&H specialties. Here is there Link http://motorcycleseatcovers.com/
    You could take the cover off and use some kind of iron on patch to help reinforce it. But the cost of a new one is not bad and there are made great.

Comment

I'll keep them in mind

The seat was replaced by the PO with a very low milage (5K miles ???) original seat which is not perfect, but it is a 9 of possible 10 except for the ever widening stressed seam. for $65 I can always replace it, I wont always be able to get an OEM seat. I'll post the results later.

Posplayr

Comment

First bike I had with seat comming apart like that, I first patched with vynal repair from outside, then later tried to fit a piece of vynal material inside throught the opening, then later took cover off and made patch from underneath, and fussed with it several times over a couple years, then got an aftermarket replacement seat cover. ANd then I said, doah, should have just replaced it long time ago.

Then on next bike as soon as it started to split, I just used vynal repair as a short term fix (to save the foam from water damage) and replaced the seat cover a lot sooner than I did on first bike.

Yah, I see, you are wanting to keep the original OEM seat. YAh, patch it from underneath. I used vynal repair stuff and a piece of vynal that I got from a fabric store.
        Last edited by Redman; 01-22-2008, 08:45 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Seat Splitting

Contact T.D. Bash at coolretrobikes.com and try not to use the seat until it's repaired as the material will stretch making it harder to repair.
          1980 GS1000E

Comment

I think every 82-83 does that. There was a nice orig seat come through here via ebay a while ago and I think it went for over $400. I did mine with Travelcade.

I stretched mine too tight so I may do it again.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              The seat was replaced by the PO with a very low mileage (5K miles ???) original seat which is not perfect, but it is a 9 of possible 10 except for the ever widening stressed seam. for $65 I can always replace it, I wont always be able to get an OEM seat. I'll post the results later.

Posplayr
              The seat covers from B&H Specialties look Very Very Close to the OEM cover. Here is a Photo of my new cover.

Comment

ZuZu

Looks like you retained the OEM passengers strap. Now that seat look nice. \\/That is not the seat in your signature; it seems more scooped out for the seat. Also a very nice look. I think I like it better.

Posplayr
                Last edited by posplayr; 01-23-2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

The seat that is on my bike in my signature Photo, is a Corbin aftermarket seat. I like the Corbin when riding around town, you sit lower in the saddle. The original is more comfortable on the longer trips.
                  I am thinking of taking the Corbin seat into an upholster and have some custom padding done, as I like the way I fit on the bike with the Corbin seat better then the OEM one.

Comment

Jethro's writeup and pics from his 1100E seat cover replacement:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
                      I am thinking of taking the Corbin seat into an upholster and have some custom padding done, as I like the way I fit on the bike with the Corbin seat better then the OEM one.
                      Interesting....I really liked the look of the Corbin, but when I finally put a brand new one on my bike last season, I did'nt like the ergonomics with it... in my case,it put the lower body in more of a 'sit-up' cruiser stance, which did'nt work too well with the lower handlebars that I run, which puts the rider in a slight lean-forward posture (I am 6'....if you are shorter or taller, it will no doubt change the seat/peg/bar relationship). For looks (and cornering too, perhaps due to the lower CG) it's hard to beat the Corbin though!
                      I put the stock seat back on after a few days (I had hoped to store it)I have 17,000 miles on my bike, so it is still in good shape for now, but like Posplayr, I know the seam-splitting issue is only a matter of time. That cover looks great, BTW....I think if not for the layer of extra foam that they feature, that gives a slighly 'raised' effect, it would look virtually stock.
                      I may put the Corbin up for sale in the 'Parts' section at some point....have'nt decided yet.
                      At the recent Toronto bikeshow, I picked up a small bottle of "The Last Glue'...(think SUPER super-glue.)..they usually have a booth at most car/bike/boat shows, ..it would be interesting to try a seam repair with this ...it's really amazing stuff.

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                      X