Gs1000g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000g

Anyone tell me if GS handlebars are interchangeable ? I have a GS 1000G with raised bars but am looking to find standard bars for it. Thanks.

Originally posted by gizmo863 View Post
    Anyone tell me if GS handlebars are interchangeable ? I have a GS 1000G with raised bars but am looking to find standard bars for it. Thanks.
    On my 1980 GS1000G the raised handlebars are standard! Most probably you mean non-standard lower bars? Cables may be a bit too long then, but I cannot see any other reason why not. Have a look at the gallery of owners bikes and you will see many pictures of bikes with all different configurations that may help.

Comment

Yes, handlebars are interchangeable. The two biggest areas of concern are diameter and length. Your bike has 7/8" diameter bars. Harleys and a lot of the Harley wanna-bes (Shadow, Vulcan, Volusia, Venture, etc.) have 1" diameter bars. Must be something necessary to counteract all that vibration.

As Matchless mentioned, if you are changing the height or spread very much from original, the cables and hoses might not reach or might be too long. If they are a bit long, re-route them carefully. Move the handlebars from lock to lock several times, observing the cables to see if they are going to hang up on something.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought superbike bars for mine. Cost less than $50 shipped. I don't like cruiser bars, personally, so I always swap out the bars on the old bikes I get that have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          If they are a bit long, re-route them carefully. Move the handlebars from lock to lock several times, observing the cables to see if they are going to hang up on something.
          Don't forget to do this check with the engine idling too. A lot of times you can have a throttle cable pull tight and open the throttle a bit. If the revs change from idle during the test, you need to add some free play with the cable adjusters or re-route the cables. If you don't check this, it is really easy to have a parking lot tipover due to the throttle opeing up when you least expect it during some low speed maneuvers.

Mark

Comment

I have Euro bars on mine... If I did it again I might get Daytona's... They are about $20 plus shipping. CRC2 does them as does a bunch of places. My local shop could order them in too.

On my G the cables were ok, the worst was the clutch as it stressed the clocks a little. I now replaced with the stock one for the 1000S - just right! The brake lines, I removed the light bucket & made a loop of the line around the back there, it worked fine for 7k plus.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have UK Yamaha XJ550/650 bars on mine

Comment

Working...
              X