Oil Seepage Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Seepage Theory

I get oil seepage in a couple of areas, but not all the time. Base gasket, clutch pivot seal, RH crankshaft seal (behind the ignition), for example. My crankcase will stay clean for weeks, then I’ll start to notice some trails forming and get some drops of oil on my right shoe every couple of days.

So here’s my idea – you think as my oil “wears out” and starts to lose viscosity (I’ve read that it does that) it’s getting through the seals better?

My bike’s an ‘81 GS850G with about 38K miles. I put on 250-300 miles per week between errands and my 50mi round trip freeway commute. I’ve been using 15W-40 dino oil (Rotella T, if you must know, but I don't want to start an oil debate thread if I can help it) and changing it about every 2000 miles. It’s about due for a change, which is what made me think there might be a pattern to the leaking.

I’m changing the oil this weekend, so I’ll certainly clean things up and see if the seeping goes away for a few weeks – I’m just curious what you guys think.

After a couple of decades, rubber seals harden and seep, especially when the oil is hot and at its thinnest.

So yes, you will see a bit more leakage and seeping when your oil is old and hot.

On the bright side, replacing the offending seals and gaskets should cure the leaks. A GS isn't like an old British or American engine, where they are seemingly designed to leak no matter what. A GS with reasonably fresh seals and gaskets won't leak a drop anywhere.

Plus, all the seals and gaskets are still available from Suzuki at pretty reasonable prices.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My GS1100 is the first bike I ever owned that didn't leave oil drip spots.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well, yes the oil does lose viscosity as it ages. One of the benefits of a true synthetic is that it'll keep it viscosity longer. As you probably know not all "Synethics" are synthetic. My local NAPA store carries about ten different synthetics and only one is really synthetic. If you change your oil at 2K the synthetics are a waste of money.

Its true that gaskets harden and crack and lose there seal after a while. The metal in the engine fatigues also. Your bolts can also lose their tensile strength and will stretch a little when you torque them so that they are as tight as the wrench says they are. The long and short of it is as engines age they will be prone to leak more. When it gets too bad install new seals and gaskets properly and hope for the best. LOL!!

Comment

Would a blocked breather hose cause a higher pressure inside the engine that might also to oil leaks? Ted

Comment

Originally posted by knotzilla View Post
            Would a blocked breather hose cause a higher pressure inside the engine that might also to oil leaks? Ted
            YES! .....................
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It certainly could, but I think r. bunny has probably already looked into this possibility -- it came up not too long ago.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Good thought. Brian's right - I discovered breather blockage a couple of weeks ago while working on resealing my airbox, so that's probably not it, but I'm sure it was contributing in the past.

Comment

Working...
                X