hose clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hose clamps

I am replacing the vacuum and fuel lines from my tank petcock to the carbs while I have it off for valve adjustmants, carb maintenance, etc..... The new hoses will slide on pretty tight(I have to twist and wiggle them on) and I don't plan on using any clamps to secure. I've seen clamps(screw type and wire type) used or not used, and some people even use tie-wraps and was looking for opinions on what you all think. They don't leak or are they under any tension or pressure that would somehow pull/push them off. The reason I'm not planning on using anything is that usually clamps are hard to get at and make it more difficult to pull off for later routine maintenance.

I would be concerned about it getting lose after it gets warm and cool a few times, hose clamps are good when they are keeping fuel from pouring all over your leg and hot motor.

Comment

I have plenty of opinions.

Anyway, I use the stock ones that open up by pressing together the two circular "things" at the top. Super easy to take off and they do provide extra hold. I'd never use ones that screwed down, that would be a PIA.

You can probably get by without them. But in my opinion, the stock wire things work great, provide extra hold and protection from vacuum leaks, and I'd use them.

Comment

Originally posted by RotaryRodder View Post
        I would be concerned about it getting lose after it gets warm and cool a few times, hose clamps are good when they are keeping fuel from pouring all over your leg and hot motor.
        ...yeah, that would be a scary thought...ruin my gas mileage too8-[!

Comment

Zip ties work well in a pinch and I always carry a selection in the tool kit. They can be a bastid to get off small hoses mind as you likely need side cutters to get in close enough to slice them off.

The small spring steel ones work best I think. They are the kind with tangs on either end of the circle that you compress together to open up and when released it self tensions. Only pennies at the auto store.

If your hose does fit tightly on the spigots it usually won't leak. I rode my Virago around for a year or so that way....forgot to put the clamps back on

Spyug

Comment

The vacuum line probably won't need clamps if they are snug. A backfire might blow it off. I don't need them on my fuel line but I use them anyway. There the screw type.

Comment

I stalled in an intersection cause the vac line came off. Ive had hose clamps on the vac and fuel lines ever since. If you position them just right or use the clamps with a hex and a slotted head its not too bad.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

There are a few kinds of fuel line that are designed to be used without clamps if you want.

The blue polyurethane fuel line sold by CRC2, for example, doesn't really need clamps, and I don't use a clamp on the tank end of my gas and vacuum lines.

However, I did place a zip ties on the fuel and vacuum lines where they plug into the carburetor end. If I forget to disconnect a hose some day when I remove the tank, I want it to pop off the tank end and not the carb end. That's a major PITA to put back.

Screw clamps are just malpractice -- they're a great way to damage the fuel line. All you should ever need is one of the spring wire pinch clamps.

If it leaks, you don't need a tighter clamp -- you need to replace the fuel line.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  If it leaks, you don't need a tighter clamp -- you need to replace the fuel line.
                  I've found the same thing to be true. If you have the wrong size, it will probably eventually leak..... even with a clamp; and putting on the wrong size is a really easy mistake to make.8-[
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Here in Amerika, everything is STILL specified in furshlugginger outdated old-fashioned nasty inches , which sometimes leads to trouble with fuel lines. Among other things.

5/16" = 7.94mm, so 5/16" fuel line works without problems on 8mm fittings.

However, 1/4" = 6.35mm , so 1/4" fuel line is often too loose on 6mm fittings. Sometimes you have to try a couple of different brands to find fuel line that's a little bit tighter if you have 6mm fittings.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

:-D:shock:And as Brian has stated to my own laughter, you dont want leaking flamable liquid that close to your crotch..Ahh..the pictures that brings on...priceless.

Comment

Working...
                      X