No announcement yet.

So I've decided to put the 750 head on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give up! I've been thinking about everything that has gone wrong with the 1000 engine. So today I'm retrieving my spare 750 engine and I'm going to mount that and then plit the cases on the 1000 and redo it from ground up the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by GSbuilder
      I give up! I've been thinking about everything that has gone wrong with the 1000 engine. So today I'm retrieving my spare 750 engine and I'm going to mount that and then plit the cases on the 1000 and redo it from ground up the right way.
      That doesn't sound like giving up to me. It sounds like taking the challenge head on. Sometimes we have to keep making the same decision until we make it the right way round.

Kim

Comment

That is the right thing to do. Somtimes if you cut corners and try to save money all it does it bite you in the Butt later

Comment

Well, disassembly of the 750 motor went well, I only have 5 bolts to extract from the head... oh, and a drill bit that snapped off while trying to extract one of the bolts. I had to take the head off to replace the head gasket, which failed 50 miles after installation and re-torqueing did no good, so I called up Vesrah and they sent me a replacement for free. This was one of the reasons the engine came off the bike in the first place, along with 2 of the 5 bolts that I'm now extracting having been snapped off previously... that made no sense. 2 of the bolts broke off last fall while removing the head to install the new gasket. There. I've taken almost everything off the 1000 engine I can before finally removing the barrels and the case. I still need to disconnect the clutch cable and chain, drain the oil, and remove the 2 working engine mounts. I have to do this all a little at a time ducking whenever a cop goes by because I am doing this in a University parking lot. I took a break because my drill battery died and I can't extract anything without my drill. Another benefit of removing the 750 head is now maybe the engine will weigh as much or less than me. I'm a scrawny little guy and have troubles lifting 200 lbs even just 8 inches, after all, I'm a whole 140lbs 6ft tall when I'm heavy. (University food does not inspire eating) Well, this has been a long enough break I guess, back to work! I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Maybe you need to rethread the bolts/nuts.

Steve

Comment

well, I can't get the bolts out with an easy out, so tomorrow I'm gonna talk to my professor about bringing it in and using the mill to drill and rethread. Everything else went together really smoothly, just waitin on the head, and some jets for the carbs. The bolts in question hold down the cam caps

Comment

well, I can't get the bolts out with an easy out, so tomorrow I'm gonna talk to my professor about bringing it in and using the mill to drill and rethread. Everything else went together really smoothly, just waitin on the head, and some jets for the carbs. The bolts in question hold down the cam caps
                Don't use an easy-out on those cam cap bolts. If you snap the easy-out the head is close to ruined. Use a square, not tapered/twisted, stud remover. It is better to have to drill the busted bolt all the way and helicoil
                it than to have to dig out an easy-out.

When you assemble it, use some anti-seize as these bolts can sometimes bind. It is likely that you heard some of the others crack as they loosened, a signal that they are starting to bind in the thread. It is also better to use new bolts when you assemble, so you don't have old bolts with a bit of strain where the thread begins, the normal place they snap off.

Kim

Comment

Working...
                X