riding a winterized bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

riding a winterized bike

So, the weather cleared up a bit here and I want to take the bike out for a short jaunt. BUT, I already put fuel stabilizer in it and it hasn't been run in over a month. Is it alright to take it out if I'm nice to it?

Take her out and enjoy her! I ride mine to work every day when the weather is nice. I winterize it every year just in case she has to sit. The first good day that I see I go for a ride. My only recommendation would be to remember to put the battery back on the tender when you get back home so that you have a good charge in case its a few weeks until the next good day.

Where in PA are you?
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I live out near Scranton. It's cold (lows in the singles) but warms up in the afternoon to the mid 20's. I'd like to take it out for short rides when it's sunny.

Comment

Originally posted by khardrunner14 View Post
        I'd like to take it out for short rides when it's sunny.
        Ive heard some of the gurus here say short rides may not be good. Has to do with condensation not being burned off due to a partial warm engine. Stand by and maybe someone with more info will enlighten us....
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Same down here. Watch for the black ice though. Just make sure that your "short" ride isn't too short. About 15 to 20 minutes at least. Around the block may do more damage than good.
          Last edited by snark; 01-25-2008, 03:13 PM.
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

A good ride is the best thing for it...
            But not for just ten minutes.
            Take it out and get it good and hot.
            And tires suck when it's cold out, be careful out there.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking along the lines of half an hour. I'll let her warm up for a few minutes as well.

Comment

Riding with stabilized fuel is not a problem. How were you planning on getting rid of that fuel in the spring? This way, you are just doing the same thing several times. \\/

Just remember that if you go far enough that you have to refill the tank, to add the appropriate amount of stabilizer to maintain your protection. 8-[

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X