Big oops - rear shock studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what I did

I broke off a shock stud in a similar situation. What I did was cut the remaining stud out, go to the hardware store and find a big bolt that matched it. Drilled out the old stud, put the bolt in, and mig welded it up. Most of us do not have mig welders, but this worked, I then ground the head of the bolt off and welded that side too, the end result is you can not tell the difference!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
      I know what you mean but if you only drill & tap the absolute minimum depth you are still retaining the maximum strength of the stud. If you "flat bottom" drill the hole, and use a "plug" tap to finish threading the hole you will minimise the dead area at the bottom of the hole.
      Two terms I'm not familiar with here -- "flat bottom" drilling, and "plug tap". I assume the latter refers to a tap which can be used to finish the thread right to the bottom of a flat hole -- can I find such a tap at most hardware stores? How do I "flat bottom" drill the hole? Special drill bit?

Also, how deep did you drill into the stud?

Thanks!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by crwper
        Two terms I'm not familiar with here -- "flat bottom" drilling, and "plug tap". I assume the latter refers to a tap which can be used to finish the thread right to the bottom of a flat hole -- can I find such a tap at most hardware stores? How do I "flat bottom" drill the hole? Special drill bit?

Also, how deep did you drill into the stud?

Thanks!

Michael
        Flat bottom drilling - a normal drill has a point at the end, which leaves a pointed hole, a flat bottomed drill has been ground so that the end fo the drill is flat so it leaves a hole with a flat bottom. Normally you would drill with a standard drill, then follow through with a flat bottomed drill to produce the flat bottom oin the hole.

Plug tap - taps usually come in sets of 3, referred to as 1st, 2nd & 3rd or taper, 2nd & plug. The 1st (or taper) has a long tapered form so that it will tend to self-centre itself in the hole, the 2nd has less taper, while the plug has no taper so you can get maximum thread in hole.

I threaded about 12/15mm into stud, I think the depth of thread was dictated by what bolts I had to hand at the time!

The stud was hard to drill though.

Comment

I drilled the studs this weekend. First I cut off the old threaded parts, and filed the end so it was clean. Then I used a regular drill bit to start the holes, then used an end mill to finish off the bottom. I couldn't find the "plug tap" that Paul referred to -- found a tap which said it was "plug-style", but sounds like what Paul described as the "#2" tap, just less taper than a normal tap. Anyway, I bought two of them, and one I ground off at the end to make a tap without taper. I drilled about 14 mm into the stud, tapped first with one tap then the other, then installed a bolt and washer to secure the shock. The bolts bottomed out just as they took purchase on the washer, which is perfect I think. I put a bit of thread-lock on the bolts so they won't shake loose, although I was able to get them nice and tight, so I doubt it would have been a problem.

The finished mod looks great, and leaves most of the original stud in place. Thanks for all your help!

Michael

Comment

Working...
          X