bolt pattern for generator cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bolt pattern for generator cover

I had to work on the starter clutch on my '81 GS 1100 E, so I pulled the generator cover. I was halfway around when I figured out that I had 3 different sized bolts. Would anyone happen to know the bolt pattern?

Thaks
    Dave

Trial and error.
    In the future try using a piece of duct tape and with a starting point lay the bolts in order on the tape. Or use a box and push the bolts into it in order.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I used to do the duct tape but usually struggled getting them off the tape when putting them back or they weren't stuck enough and rolled out of order when I moved it.
      When I just did my valve adjustment I used an old pizza box from the trash and punched holes and put the 19 valve cover bolts in nice neat order for reinstallation. You can write cheat notes to yourself on the box too when you know you won't finish the job till a week later(or sometimes a month).
      Won't help you now but figured I'd share that. Make sure there isn't any cheese stuck on the box!

Comment

When I have to remove fasteners that aren't all the same, sometimes I draw a sketch on a piece of cardboard indicating the bolt location, then punch the bolts or screws through, as mentioned above. I have done this for everything from antique musical instruments to cars and bikes and it has really helped.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
          When I have to remove fasteners that aren't all the same, sometimes I draw a sketch on a piece of cardboard indicating the bolt location, then punch the bolts or screws through, as mentioned above. I have done this for everything from antique musical instruments to cars and bikes and it has really helped.
          Exactly what I do here, too. Lurch mentioned using a pizza box, they are nice and large, but anything will do. I have several pieces of cardboard on the shelf, with labels like 650 valves, 850 valves, 850 clutch, etc. 8-[
          Last edited by Steve; 01-26-2008, 01:56 AM.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The drawing on your model sucks.

#19 is 45mm, #20 is 40mm, #21 is 35mm
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
            X