Anyone relocate their starter button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone relocate their starter button?

my original starter button assembly is not complete (missing the button and internals, etc.), i don't want to buy another one and would much rather clear up as much off the handle bars. i have seen starter buttons relocated to under the gas tank. can someone post a how to? and what i would need to buy? ( i own a 1979 gs425 if that matters as far as wiring goes.)

thanks.

An auto electrician would be your best bet. Do you guys have auto electricians as a seperate trade or is it done by mechanics?

Anyway, it wouldn't cost much and if you don't know anything about electrics that's what I'd recommend. It's pretty simple (but I have 25 years of auto training and experience). The last thing you want is your electrics shorting out under your fuel tank. It is a very common conversion though.

Comment

It would not really take much to put it about anywhere you want.

First you need to find a push-button or spring-loaded toggle switch that is relatively weather-resistant. In electrical terms, you are looking for a single-pole, single-throw, momentary contact switch. When you find a switch and a location to mount it (you might have to use a small tab from an existing bolt that you can use to mount the switch), just connect one pole of the switch to a switched wire from the fuse box, and the other to the small wire on the starter solenoid. If you mount it on the left side of the bike, you will likely have to disable the clutch safety switch so you don't need three hands to start the bike. :shock:

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yea, just go to an auto parts supply and buy the appropriate weatherproof switch.

Comment

Marine switches are a common way to go.

Comment

Working...
          X