OEM gasket kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM gasket kit

I am replacing the gaskets on my 81 550 and want to get a complete engine gasket kit for the rebuild. I would prefer a OEM gasket kit but don't want order each gasket indivually. I couldn't find a complete kit on bike bandit just the idividual ones. Do i need to just call them and order a complete kit. Any one have any tips? Whats a good aftermart kit if I can't get a complete OEM kit?

-R
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

I had a little time to play with but I bought mine piece by piece on Fleabay. I had to buy a special head gasket for my 1168 bore from Ape but the rest is fleabay. Stick with Cometic and OEM. When it comes to crankcase covers and valve cover gaskets aftermarket is ok. I buy from a seller named georgefix on Ebay.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Gasket Set

Look under options in the parts listing. That is where the gasket set is listed for an 850. Would quess the 550 to be the same.
      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

You might try z1enterprises, Ryan. You have to call them, they have a lot more parts than they list on their web site. I prefer Vesrah when it comes to gasket sets, and Cometic when it comes to head gaskets. But that's just me.

Comment

Another tip is to make sure that you search 'worldwide' (on ebay). Most people just search within their own country but you'll find a heap of GS stuff in Aus, NZ and the UK as well. Postage is pretty cheap (in the grand scheme of things) so it's worthwhile shopping in the 'global village'.

I have a 550 gasket kit and before I use it I am going to trace every gasket onto paper. This way I can remake my own gaskets later on with gasket paper if I need to. I have thought of making a gasket 'archive' like this that could be photocopied and used as required as a template. Maybe it's something that we could start to add to the GSR that people could download and print for themselves???? A lot of the gaskets would be 'universal' (for various GS's) anyway.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2008, 09:54 AM.

Comment

The OE GS550 head gasket from Bike Bandit is $84. You could buy a complete Vesrah kit for less than that and the gaskets are excellent quality. Athena gaskets are more poorly received but cheaper still.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll give Jeff a call, OEM kit appears to be discontinued, cometic doesn't make a kit for the 550. So it looks like I will probable go Vesra.

Thanks guys
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I've had great results with Vesrah kits -- they're very high quality, better than OEM, IMHO.

Dunno if a Vesrah kit is available for your 550, though.

Also, Vesrah kits are rather incomplete in random ways. Make sure you sort through the kit and spend some quality time with the fiches to order the stuff you're missing.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X