Is losing the key ignition possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is losing the key ignition possible?

I've been wondering if I can somehow bypass the key ignition and set up the bike to turn on with a killswitch or something else of the like. Is it possible or am I just stupid?

Before you say, 'well then anyone can steal your bike.' Know that I've already thought of a pretty nifty idea for a killswitch that I'm pretty sure NOONE will ever figure out how to use

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
    I've been wondering if I can somehow bypass the key ignition and set up the bike to turn on with a killswitch or something else of the like. Is it possible or am I just stupid?

Before you say, 'well then anyone can steal your bike.' Know that I've already thought of a pretty nifty idea for a killswitch that I'm pretty sure NOONE will ever figure out how to use
    Well, the only prob i see is having to lock out the accessories from being on all the time. You could do this however...

Wire the accessories wire to a toggle, so that you can always turn them off and on. And then wire the "ON" wire to a toggle or push button. Ive seen it done on a couple of cafe bikes. Slickest one had the starter button hidden under the seat pan. Climb on, reach under and push to start. Seems pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Well, the only prob i see is having to lock out the accessories from being on all the time. You could do this however...

Wire the accessories wire to a toggle, so that you can always turn them off and on. And then wire the "ON" wire to a toggle or push button. Ive seen it done on a couple of cafe bikes. Slickest one had the starter button hidden under the seat pan. Climb on, reach under and push to start. Seems pretty simple.
      Awesome so its doable..... I got some badass gauges off of Paulyboy and would you know, they interfer right with my ignition. So I knew it was gonna get moved. But then the more I thought about it the more I knew that I wanted to lose it altogether. I don't have the sharpest memory and I only have one key, so no key ignition would be best probably

Comment

How you gonna keep it safe tho? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          This is how you take your average family sedan and turn it into a racecar / speedway racer etc. I have built heaps of race cars and none have keys. The last thing you want to be fiddling with when you are strapped in a racing seat is a key. It's always toggles and push buttons. Racing bikes are the same. The key / lock is just another thing that can go wrong.

Comment

I saw a neat setup on a custom where all you saw was a neat row of five tiny switches. All five had to be in the exact correct position for the starter to work. Once you started the bike, you just flipped 'em all to one side so no one has a chance to memorize the 'combination". There were other tricksy hidden switches as well to turn on the lights and energize the ignition.

It's called "security through obscurity" -- if someone wanted to steal your bike, they'd have to know the trick and then spend some amount of time experimenting. At some point, it's easier to just get a pickup and a couple of strong guys and steal the whole thing.

You can also put in some dummy switches, wire the kill switch backwards, add a big red "start" button that doesn't do anything, require the rear brake lever to be pressed, etc. There are all sorts of ways to keep things yours without depending on a small lump of wiggly metal. Maybe you could figure out a way to adapt one of those computer fingerprint scanners.

With race cars and bikes, you don't want things to be obscured, of course. In these cases, you keep it under surveillance, keep it under cover (in a trailer or garage), and/or put on a disk lock or lock it to something big and difficult to move or demolish.

There's also the obscurity of the bike itself. Hardley-Ableson based customs are perfect thief targets because there's a large and ready market for the parts. In some areas, it's the same with late-model sportybikes.

With a GS, the market is pretty small, and most of us know each other. Unless the thief is just out for a joyride, they don't have much of a reason to steal a GS since they'd have a very difficult time quickly generating cash from a stolen bike or parts.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I hate keys too.
              I hate getting my bike stolen even more.
              So I rigged a stick of dynamite under the seat to blow if someone starts the bike up without putting in the secret code.
              Pretty smart, huh?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Replace the key with a relay, activate the relay with the kill switch

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I hate keys too.
                  So I rigged a stick of dynamite under the seat to blow if someone starts the bike up without putting in the secret code.
                  Pretty smart, huh?

As long a YOU Remember the code.*:shock::-D
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                    [/COLOR]

As long a YOU Remember the code.*:shock::-D
                    Dyslexia is a bitch.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Dyslexia is a bitch.
                      Dyslexics of the world,...UNTIE \\/

My mother was founder and president of D.A.M.

That's Mothers Against Dyslexia. :-\"

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Ironriot, yes, you can lose your ignition key. As others have mentioned, you will have to be a little more concerned about security when you leave the bike.

One other area that has not been mentioned is the LOCK function that the key provides. By not using the key, you will definitly lose that feature.
                      sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you've got a decent memory, throw a combination padlock on the front disc or rear sprocket and wire up a switch to replace the ignition as other people said.

Comment

I hate keys too.
                          Pretty smart, huh?
                          I saw a rabbit with a Brooklyn accent do that to his Acme Roadster once. Turns out a black duck with a speech impediment tried to start the bike and his bill blew half way around his head.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post

I'm debating something like this too, since my ignition key is getting worn, and sometimes hard to turn.

The only problem is that you still need the key for the gas cap.
                            (and in my case the helmet lock if I use it)

Any easy way to make the gas cap not require that key ?

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                              I saw a rabbit with a Brooklyn accent do that to his Acme Roadster once. Turns out a black duck with a speech impediment tried to start the bike and his bill blew half way around his head.
                              You're dithpicable!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X