Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aaakk! MY engine is making this strange noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aaakk! MY engine is making this strange noise!

My engine is making a noise that sound like loose metal wacking other metal-much like the old chevies that had mechanical clutches. It does not sound like a rod. It increases when I decelerate and comes around 3000rpm. Is there a chain between the crank and the tranny? could this be a loose shiftfork? Could this be the cam chain? could I need a new engine? Where should I start? Thanks

Re: aaakk! MY engine is making this strange noise!

Originally posted by MeterPig
    My engine is making a noise that sound like loose metal wacking other metal-much like the old chevies that had mechanical clutches. It does not sound like a rod. It increases when I decelerate and comes around 3000rpm. Is there a chain between the crank and the tranny? could this be a loose shiftfork? Could this be the cam chain? could I need a new engine? Where should I start? Thanks
    cam chain noise will be worse under de-acceleration but that noise sounds alot like what mine sounded like two years ago. mine was exsessive piston clearance from all the abuse the old gs had taken over the years.
    If you can get your hands on one, try using an mechanics stethescope that will help you pinpointwere the noise is coming from

Comment

If the sound seems to be a 'rattle-clacking' in the area of the valve cover, it may be the cam chain tensioner not adjusting the chain properly. If so, you need to remove it and see if it works right. If you let it go and it turns out to be the tensioner, it can cause the chain to jump out of time and possibly damage the valves. :twisted:

Comment

I am a dumb ass

Well after thinking that I should be investing in cigerettes not motorcyles, it turns out that it was one of the metal pieces that hold the four into one exhaust to the bike. It seems that the bolts have backed out a little bit. how exciting.

Comment

propflux01 : I think I'll want to check on my engine now that you mention it, as I do too have a light rattling sound coming from the top of the engine. I've got a new top gasket anyway.

If it turns out my cam chain tensioner is bad, does anything need to be replaced or is it just a matter of adjusting it?

The last thing I want to happen now is my bike dying on me before the season has even started

Comment

really the best you can do with it is to diassemble and clean and check, if the pushrod is bent, replacment is mandatory. Most, however will turn out OK. there is a post somewhere on here that has a real good laymans-instruction on how to remove, check and reinstall the tensioner. it sounds somewhat complicated, but once you remove it it is extrememly easy to figure out. If you leave the carbs on while removing it, I found that a 10mm socket-headed universal joint (1/4" drive) and a long extension will make it a 5 minute job compared to an hour with a wrench! Hope that helps. :twisted:

Comment

You can rebuild cam tensioners for about 75 cents in springs and o-rings. I paid 70$CDN for a used tensioner and realized this. Still, it's a small price to pay when I could have lost a week of riding.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X