GS1000S Loom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S Loom

Pulling my '79 1000s to bits for powdercoating the frame and the wiring loom is in a pretty sorry state - loads of bodges everywhere by POs. I suspect it's unlikely that I'll be able to pick up a decent replacement for an S but does anyone know what other models have very similar looms that will only require a minimum of alteration?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

you can build your own. just use the one you have for a pattern. heck. you may find out you do not need most of the wireing.

Comment

The 79 GS1000E should be almost identical. The only difference I can think of would be in the instruments.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

There are a few companies in the UK that will build a custom loom for you using your old one as a pattern.

I think www.premierwiring.co.uk will do it, can't remember others offhand (maybe vehicle wiring products?) but I could prob find out.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well, I'm lookin' at my Clymers manual, which has color schematics for the '78 & '79 GS1000. All models. It looks like there are significant differences between the '79 E & S models. The main difference I see is the secondary loom from the handlebar controls. On the S, they connect to the main loom with 1 big connector. On the E model there are two smaller connectors. Then there's the instrumentation on the S, like Bruce said. But there the main loom connectors are the same.

There may be other differences.

Believe it or not, the '78 GS1000E main loom more closely resembles the '79 S model. Color coding & connectors seem to be the same. The '78 E doesn't have the oil temp circuit or those fancy instruments either.

Hampshirehog, if you like I can scan these schematics & e-mail to you. Then you can compare yourself. And then just to be completely helpful, I'll tell ya I have a main loom from a '78 E model that's in nice shape. I was gonna put it up on ebay one of these days. I can give you a shot at it first.

Cheers,

Tom

Comment

I just was through the exact same thing for the same reason on a '78 GS1000C. I pulled the loom out of the bike. I untaped it, removed wires I didn't need any more and added new wires. I re-taped with good quality 3M tape. Added the corugated armour at the neck and where it bends down near the electrical panel. I taped over it as well. Just put it back in the bike yesterday. Replace the bodged wires as required. There are a surprising amount of factory splices under the tape. Avoid splices where the loom needs to flex at the neck. Looks great and functions just as well.

Comment

Working...
            X