GS1000e Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000e Jets

I have a 79 GS 1000e with a new vance & hanze exhaust and pod airfilters. The bike is awesome until it gets to 6K, after which it stumbles. BTW - the bike is really clean with 11K on it and very standard otherwise. My brother has a 80 kz1000 with the same setup. He recently change to a bigger main jet and it's perfect.

What is the standard GS1000e jet sizes? anyone have a recommendation?

Lastly, it will stumble if I jump on the throttle at a start. I think both the main and idle jets need to be enlarged. BTW - my GS is cooler then his KZ

Thanks, Denton

For the best and easiest results, get a Dynojet stage 3 jet kit. I did that on mine and it revs cleanly throughout the RPM range.

Comment

ermm not positive but didnt the 79 still use VM type carbs? Or had they switched to BS cv type by then? IF they still have the VMs on it, Dynojet, as far as i know, doesnt make a kit for them. However, the needles, at least in my VMs are adjustable, in which case changing out the main and richening that circuit is not a big issue. However, from my investigation, your "stumble if i jump on the throttle at start" is symptomatic of the VM design, and most likely something you wont be able to tune out of them. Its one reason some people like the BS cv design better, as the throttle transitions are much smoother, and response to stabbing it is instant. The VMs require a bit of "touch". I may very well be wrong however.

Comment

Your 1979 GS1000E came equipped with VM26 Slide carbs, Suzuki changed to CV carbs starting in 1980. 80GS1000's suggestion is the easiest solution and yes you can find the DJ Stage III Kit if you search Ebay Stores. They sell for about $125 or so.

Do yourself another favor & SEARCH the GS Forum for GS1000 Dyno Jet Stage III and you will find many detailed answers on jetting the DJ Stage III along with rejetting the Stock 26 mixers. Many of these threads deal specifically with your V & H 4 into 1. Look for Keith Krause suggestions.

P.S. If the Pods airfilters are K&N knock offs & you oiled them that could be contributing to your 6K stumble.

BR,
        Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

If you use pods, go stage three, as mentioned. The factory pro website has great carb tuning info, btw, and can help you allot if you want to tweak it.

Timing advance wouldn't hurt either!

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
            Your 1979 GS1000E came equipped with VM26 Slide carbs, Suzuki changed to CV carbs starting in 1980. 80GS1000's suggestion is the easiest solution and yes you can find the DJ Stage III Kit if you search Ebay Stores. They sell for about $125 or so.

Do yourself another favor & SEARCH the GS Forum for GS1000 Dyno Jet Stage III and you will find many detailed answers on jetting the DJ Stage III along with rejetting the Stock 26 mixers. Many of these threads deal specifically with your V & H 4 into 1. Look for Keith Krause suggestions.

P.S. If the Pods airfilters are K&N knock offs & you oiled them that could be contributing to your 6K stumble.

BR,
            Really? Ive yet to find a Dynojet kit for VMs...Would be nice if i could...i shall look HARDER:-D

Comment

Check this out:

Develop a great plan for boosting your motorcycle’s performance by using our convenient, reliable motorcycle carburetor Jet Kits available online. Once you see these kits in action, it will become clear why they’re the products that started the Dynojet fuel tuning legacy. They’ll effortlessly increase power and smoothness throughout the entire rev range. Whether your bike is stock, heavily modified, or created for high-speed racing, our Jet Kits can tune your air/fuel ratio to perfection. Not only will our motorcycle Jet Kits drastically improve your performance, but they’ll also show immediate results. With an increased power output of 5-8% and a fully adjustable design, our kits are the perfect companions to any rider. Expand your vehicle’s performance capabilities today with them.

Google the Dynojet part number for the best price.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Hrmmm... I DID find one for the 1000. Not for the 750. I too have pods and a VHpipe. They use the same carbs. Is it possible to use the jet kit from the 1000 or would it make it too rich?

Comment

isn't it cheaper just to up the jet size? I've got a couple of old bikes and worked on the carbs in the past. I'm in the process of Recuilding a cb750 cafe (motor is apart and ready for paint)

BTW - I've got the K&N filters for my gs (not too oily)

I'm traveling for work and hoped someone knew the facotry jet size so I could order (2.50 each) and have them waiting at home when I got there.

What additionally am I getting with the dynojet system?

Comment

Hello GS1000e,
                    Rejetting your carbs will entail more than bumping the main jet a couple of sizes. In addition to changing the Main, you will have to juggle the Needle Clip position, air screw turns, fuel screw turns and perhaps the pilot jet. I think that's a 5 X 5 matrix (A lot of Possibilities) and you want the optimal one. Based on the mileage you should replace all the internal Carb O-rings along with the manifold O-rings

Most people like the the DJ Stage III kit because it eliminates a lot of variables and provides a rough baseline to fine tune their specific GS1000. The DJ Kit includes Mains, Needles, fine tuning shims & fairly detailed instructions. The Kit was also designed for use with a "quality" 4 into 1. While you have it apart you should replace all the O-rings

Use the SEARCH Luke er GS1000e . . .

Stock VM26 Jets: Main: 95, Pilot 15, Needle: 5DL36-3
                    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

There are many variables, but fortunately with the VMs the needle is adjustable (unlike the BS cv type in most situations, which makes the buying of Dynojet kits absolutely necessary for keeping sanity) You should be able to get where you need to be (according to Keith Krause) with the stock pilot jet. With my 750, i went from stock to a 127.5 main. I have pods (UNIs) and a Vance&Hines 4into1. My pilot (bleeder) jets are actually a step up, 17.5 but you should be able to get it with the stock one. Needle is moved down to fourth position from the top. Again this is a 750 but it should translate to your 1000 too. These are a base line to try. Not at all saying that this is where you'll find yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X