X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Oil Cooler.... the basics?

Hi,

Just snagged this:

I have a 1979 GS1000E that I love to death and wanted to keep temps down during the Texas summer riding.

So besides bolting everything on, what do I need to know about the oil cooler? I couldnt come up with anything in the search function, so forgive me if this has been done to death.

Do I need to add any more oil in the crank, or is this a bolt-on and ride job?

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    J

Where is your oil sensor. Is it on the oil filter cover or under the carbs on the crankcase?
    By the way the extra oil cooler is a Derale. Same as mine. If you don't want it I'll take it.:-D
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My oil sensor is under the carbs on the crankcase.

Comment

Seems to me that the extra oil volume will have to be compensated for by adding more. Not sure how much though.

The pickup point appears to be where the pressure sensor attaches near the cam chain tensioner. Looks to take a diamond shaped o-ring of some type, hopefully you can find one.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You will need to use a bit more oil, but you're looking for the same oil level in the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Looks to take a diamond shaped o-ring of some type, hopefully you can find one.
            That's the stock oring shape.

Comment

excellent, thanks for the replies. I will add a bit more oil and let the crank case breather bleed out the rest until I get the correct amount.

Thanks again!

Comment

I keep my oil level at the top of the window.
                I don't see an oil sensor on that cover. Talk to renobruce about his setup.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by phaserburn View Post
                  excellent, thanks for the replies. I will add a bit more oil and let the crank case breather bleed out the rest until I get the correct amount.

Thanks again!

the crank case breather is not for removing an overfill of oil. when changing oil, add oil slowly until the upper level mark is met. run the motor for a couple of minutes. shut down and wait at least 5 min. then fill again until the oil level is between the high and low marks on the sight glass. add in small amounts and let the oil level stabilize between adding the last bit of oil to achieve the correct level.

Comment

Originally posted by walt View Post
                    the crank case breather is not for removing an overfill of oil. when changing oil, add oil slowly until the upper level mark is met. run the motor for a couple of minutes. shut down and wait at least 5 min. then fill again until the oil level is between the high and low marks on the sight glass. add in small amounts and let the oil level stabilize between adding the last bit of oil to achieve the correct level.
                    Walt,

Well put. I will do that after I install everything.

The oil pressure switch is offset. You can see it in the 4th picture. It is opposite of his hand.

Quick question... how do I route the lines from behind the engine to in front where the cooler mounts? Do I just run them around the engine? Will they not melt?

Thanks!
                    J

Comment

I run the lines up from the adapter to the spine and then up and over to the front where the cooler is located.

Originally posted by phaserburn View Post
                      Walt,

Well put. I will do that after I install everything.

The oil pressure switch is offset. You can see it in the 4th picture. It is opposite of his hand.

Quick question... how do I route the lines from behind the engine to in front where the cooler mounts? Do I just run them around the engine? Will they not melt?

Thanks!
                      J

Comment

Working...
                      X