Electronics Relocation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronics Relocation?

I'm working on a custom air intake for my GS 550t, and am going to relocate my electronics up under the seat. I have a couple of questions about this. First, does anybody know how sensitive the ignition box would be to electromagnetic interference, from the starter solenoid. I ask this because in the stock location it is under the air box. However, were I'll be puting it, it will be very close to this solenoid. I don't want to fry it, and don't feel like droping the money on a Dyna S right now. My other question is are there any heat issues I have to look out for.When I get everything figured out and together I'll try to get some pictures up.

Thanks for any answers and opinions,
    Moonshine

Ok, I'm not an electrician (disclaimer), but I believe, if you're worried about electromagnetic interference you could put a peice of sheet metal, between them, and connect it to ground. This should 'shield' the units from each other. I doubt it would be a problem anyway, but am not sure.

Comment

Interference should not be a problem, but you have to realise that those componants need to be kept cool, and mounted somewhere where it can get some airflow. :twisted:

Comment

The CDIs on my bikes are within 2 inches of the relay.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
          The CDIs on my bikes are within 2 inches of the relay.

Steve
          CDI's??? Steve, your bike's should have electronic ignitions, CDI ignition systems are usualy found in dirtbikes and many small displacement street bikes, as far as I know, all the GS's used points or electronic ignitions.

Comment

You're right. My GS400s ignition is labeled CDI even though it isn't really one.

Comment

As an electrical tech....

Ok, thought I'd weigh in with a little electrical theory...

DC Coils build up a magnetic field when current rushes through it. However, the magnetic field is built up once (when energized, i.e. starting) and goes away when the current goes away. A start solenoid itself draws little current (some don't draw much at all if they are electronic, not coil type solenoids). Therefore, there is little or no electromagnetic effect to the surroundings.
              However, AC coils (like those that work on your 50/60 Hz electrical system in your house) buildup and collapse the magnetic field approx twice per second (60Hz- Goes from 0 to high to 0 to low to 0 in one second)
              . This rapid expansion and collapse of the magnetic field in a coil causes lots of interference, usually in the form of radio waves (noise) being constantly emmitted.
              Knowing this, the ignition COILS act like AC coils in that the fields are built up and collapse with each spark firing, varying on engine speed and timing. So there is a LOT of radio waves emitted when the coil charges & discharges. That is why Automobile spark plug wires (along with quality bike plug wires) are 'RF shielded' or 'RF suppressed'. This prevents 1) the radio waves causing induced current on adjacent wiring and 2) The AM radio on the car dial doesn't 'rev up' with the engine.

As long as you mount the electronic box in an area that keeps cool and is away from the coils, you're golden.

Comment

Working...
              X