Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock connecting rods with built GS1000 motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock connecting rods with built GS1000 motor?

Are stock connecting rods strong enough to be used with a hopped up GS1000 motor? The reason is there's a huge price difference between the two. A set of new Suzuki OEM conn. rods for the GS1000 motor is only $344 for a set while the Carrillo/Falicon rods are about $1000 per set. :shock:

Is it worth the extra $$$ for the Carrillo rods? Or are they a waste of money?

HP projection is 120-135 HP with hopefully lots and lots of torque.

The crank would be getting lightened/balanced/indexed/welded by Falicon, with new bearings if needed.

The rest of the specs:

Wiseco 1100 cc kit
    APE ported/flowed head
    New valves, 1 mm oversize intakes, stock exhaust
    New heavy duty camchain
    Falicon lightened/balanced/indexed/welded supercrank
    APE undercut tranny
    Web Cams, #110 grind, .395 lift.
    New Dyna 2000 ignition, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires.
    36 mm Mikuni RS flatslides
    Welded clutch basket
    APE adjustable cam sprockets

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM.

Con rods

I dont know if this helps!
    I used to race against guys riding gs1000s with head work,pipes, pods etc with standard bottom ends never saw one throw a rod. (my z1 was a different story)
    That said if your spending all that money for the rest of the engine the rods do look like a possible weak link.
    Any way good luck with the engine build, and the rest of the bike. Which by the way looks amazing.
    Cheers

Comment

While my best guess is that a street motor doesn't need the rods, I think you'd get your best answer from Falicon.

There are lots of GSs with 115-120hp with stock cranks
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Stock can handle 135 HP. If you have future plans for more power (even if you don't think so) go with the falicon/carrillo. Are you just going to have falicon use your old ones or purchase new ones. Are they asking you to make a choice or have you sent it out yet? PM Kris V and ask him where he sends his cranks out to.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Stock can handle 135 HP. If you have future plans for more power (even if you don't think so) go with the falicon/carrillo. Are you just going to have falicon use your old ones or purchase new ones. Are they asking you to make a choice or have you sent it out yet? PM Kris V and ask him where he sends his cranks out to.
          Nah, haven't sent it out yet, just formulating a plan. I'd buy brand new OEM rods from Suzuki and have Falicon use those. The rods in the bike now have done 35k miles so they're going to be replaced. 120-135 HP sounds fine, any more and I think I'd just buy a bigger engine or ride the Gixxer.

Comment

Really talk to Kris V. He probably can save you money and get you a better crank.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Send your crank to Stan Gardner at GRC. He's the best in the country & will charge you about 5 hundred + parts. He won't tell you you need stuff you don't. Ray.

Comment

There are two things that warrant Carillo rods IMO. 1. Revving the absolute **** out of the engine and 2. Major boost. Other then that you're more then likely fine with stockers. I mean come on, IT IS a GS afterall lol

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. How do the rest of the specs I mentioned sound for a street bike that'll see the occasional roadrace track day? I want a powerful motor but don't want parts flying through the cases at me.

Should I keep the exhaust valves the stock size or go oversized on them? I was told by a very experienced dragbike builder that 1 mm over on the intakes and stock size on the exhaust valves works best, but your input is appreciated.

Are those Mikuni RS flatslides streetable? Do you still have good low end with them, or are they more for top end?

Is the undercut tranny overkill?
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2008, 02:45 AM.

Comment

I run a stock tranny with no problem. Right now I'm running 135-140 HP.
                    I say do it up if you have the dough.
                    I'm going to 1.5mm oversize on the intake and stock exhaust. Being built as we speak :-D

Comment

Working...
                    X