Intermittent Fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Fault

My 1981 Katana 650 Shaft drive is sending me crazy. It runs perfectly and then out of the blue it starts to cough and splutter and eventually comes to a complete halt. There seems to be no pattern although if I leave it 10 mins , it will usually start up again and then often runs perfectly - until the next time. Sometimes I can hear loud clicks - or ticks. It almost seems to be running on 2 or 3 cylinders. Sometimes the pipe on number 2 cylinder runs cold. What I have done so far: I suspected it was electrical so I replaced the signal generator and the ignitor with a Dyna system. Expensive option and didn't solve the problem. I isolated the kill switch to eliminate that. I have changed coils. I have changed voltage regulator/rectifier. I have changed the diaphragm in the fuel stop cock. That didn't help although the old diaphragm was in poor condition. So now I have blocked off the vacuum hose and I switch it to PRIME when riding. I will see how that works. ANY OTHER IDEAS - PLEASE HELP !!!!

Just get a new petcock.
    Check your grounds and clean them and apply dielectric grease. This is also a good ideal on all connections. Clean the kill switch and the ignition switch.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When you changed your coils, did you change the plug wires (installing new) and/or the spark plug caps? The intermittent and abrupt change coupled with your describing ticking sounds, makes me suspect a high voltage fault.......which will cause one or both of the paired cylinders to misfire. Any chance it runs poorer in the rain? (sometimes this will show up secondary voltage shorts to head etc).

Plug wires, especially resistance types (most plug wires) will break down and I've seen them burn right down the length of a wire inside......such that it resembles a piece of flexible tubing (with carbon coating).

Comment

Welcome to the site Stuart. Follow the suggestions from the Gurus above.

Cheers
        Don

Comment

When I first bought my 1100 it would run great then die at the same intersection every time I rode it. After I pushed back home the bike would start up again no problem. The petcock was bad. It would trickle enough fuel into the bowls at rest (which should not happen without the bike running) to get it started but would die after they were sucked dry, and always the bike would die in the exact same spot. I didn't bother with rebuilding the petcock, I just bought a new one. Problem solved.

Comment

Many thanks for your help. Sounds like a new petcock would be in order. Regards.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Just get a new petcock.
            Check your grounds and clean them and apply dielectric grease. This is also a good ideal on all connections. Clean the kill switch and the ignition switch.

Comment

Many thanks. Yes - when I replaced the coils they came with new plug wires. I also have new spark plug caps. Tried it in my garage at night looking for sparks but saw nothing. Never ride in the rain. Will try a new petcock and if that doesn't work, will try new plug leads with my old coils. Thanks again !!

Originally posted by SPARKSS View Post
              When you changed your coils, did you change the plug wires (installing new) and/or the spark plug caps? The intermittent and abrupt change coupled with your describing ticking sounds, makes me suspect a high voltage fault.......which will cause one or both of the paired cylinders to misfire. Any chance it runs poorer in the rain? (sometimes this will show up secondary voltage shorts to head etc).

Plug wires, especially resistance types (most plug wires) will break down and I've seen them burn right down the length of a wire inside......such that it resembles a piece of flexible tubing (with carbon coating).

Comment

Many thanks Don !!!

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                Welcome to the site Stuart. Follow the suggestions from the Gurus above.

Cheers
                Don

Comment

Many thanks. Guess what. I have a new petcock on order !!
                  Regards, Stuart

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                  When I first bought my 1100 it would run great then die at the same intersection every time I rode it. After I pushed back home the bike would start up again no problem. The petcock was bad. It would trickle enough fuel into the bowls at rest (which should not happen without the bike running) to get it started but would die after they were sucked dry, and always the bike would die in the exact same spot. I didn't bother with rebuilding the petcock, I just bought a new one. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                  X