Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never seen this happen!

Hey Folks:

I reckon I've rebuilt over 20 CV-carbs over the past 15 years but something happened yesterday that I have never seen.

I rebuilt a set of CV-carbs for my 1100E (re-jetted, drilled slides, etc.) and I stored them for about 6 months. Yesterday I put them on and the instant I turned the fuel on the carb bowls filled up and a steady stream of gas came out of the right-air port on all four carbs.

Now I know that it indicates that the floats aren't "seating"; but can anyone quickly tell me what would cause all four carbs to behave exactly the same. Why aren't my floats seating; or could any other factor explain this?

I thought someone might be able to instantly diagnose the problem before I have to pull the bowls. I like to be "armed" with the knowledge so that I have something to check for as soon as I pull the bowls. As always, thanks: Kid

I know what I think but there may be other opinions.

I have rebuilt multiple hundreds of carb banks.

the carb cleaner leaves a residue. carb cleaner works on breaking down the varnish - yes it looks clean it smells clean it will even run the bike. BUT
    for storage this is not enough!!

you clean carbs and put them in storage they still have tiny amount of bad stuff in there unless you use other types of solvents to fully clean all the passages and orifices.

and I use carb cleaner, then brakes cleaner, compressed air, and bel-rey 6 in 1 oil, seal in plastic bag with dehydrating packets that is my way to prep for storage.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I don't know if you are suggesting that the carbs are "dirty" but I promise not a speck of varnish or dust or particulates exist. It has to be something more simple; remember, all four carbs behaved exactly the same!

Comment

Originally posted by dtkid View Post
        I don't know if you are suggesting that the carbs are "dirty" but I promise not a speck of varnish or dust or particulates exist. It has to be something more simple; remember, all four carbs behaved exactly the same!
        Could be one of three things. Depending on what you used to clean them, the floats could all be stick to the bowls. Unlikely for all of them to stick though. The second possibility is that the seat assys are not the correct ones for your carb model, and aren't seating properly. The other possibility is that you have re-assembled the float assys incorrectly, ie up side down. This is possible on some carb designs. It can cause the needles/seats to remain partially open when the floats have fully risen.
        Give the carbs some light taps. If the floats are stuck, they should free up. If not, you need to operate.
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

You know.......I may have put them damn things in upside down. That is the most logical explanation. I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks a bunch: Kid

Comment

Actually, I have rarely seen a float needle go bad. I have always changed the O rings on them & the leaks go away. If the carbs sit for any length of time the O rings dry out & cause what seems to be a float needle leak. You change the needle & seat assembly (which comes with a NEW O ring) & the problem goes away! I ALWAYS change the O ring FIRST & then go from there. I figured this out as a dealer mechanic for a Suzuki dealer in Hawaii when fixing bikes that had sat for awhile & were brought in to make road worthy again. It works ALMOST every time. Ray.

Comment

Superb......if I didn't put the floats in upside down it almost has to be the O-rings.

Comment

OK, I've only rebuilt 5 or so racks, but if you do them, then let them sit, they will likely stick a bit when they are first run.

So rapping them with the back of a screwdriver doesn't get them to seat?

If not, I have had to go in and move them up and down to break them loose.

Once you run gas, I think it lubricates it and helps keep it from sticking (as long as you empty the bowls before storage)
                Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Is the petcock new? This can also happen due to garbage from the petcock.

This is exactly what happened on a friend's GS850 last year -- after not being moved for many years, he forced the petcock lever thinking that he had to shut the gas off to remove the tank. He wasn't aware that "on" is "off", unless the engine is running.

This caused crud, corrosion, and dried-up bits of rubber from the petcock to make their way down into the carbs and prop open the float needles, causing a gasoline urination situation.

A quick re-cleaning, a new petcock, and the problem was sorted.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This is why EVERY time I rebuild carbs, I fill them with gas while clamped in a vise on my bench to see if they leak BEFORE they go on the bike! Ray.

Comment

Fluid (gasoline) will seek its own level. You only need (1) needle and seat to leak. Fuel will continue to flow and fill all carbs through the interconnecting vent tubes. You may not have bad parts, or assembled incorrectly, just one needle and seat that doesn't close, could flood all others.

I have often toyed with the thought of connecting all the fuel bowls at the bottom drain screws with fittings and lines to let all (4) carb fuel levels fill the same regardless of the differences between them. They should all level out EXACTLY to the highest (1) fuel level of the (4) carbs.
                      The only problem i can see with this is when the bike is on the kickstand, rather than on the center stand, i think....there will be flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by nert View Post
                        Fluid (gasoline) will seek its own level. You only need (1) needle and seat to leak. Fuel will continue to flow and fill all carbs through the interconnecting vent tubes. You may not have bad parts, or assembled incorrectly, just one needle and seat that doesn't close, could flood all others.

I have often toyed with the thought of connecting all the fuel bowls at the bottom drain screws with fittings and lines to let all (4) carb fuel levels fill the same regardless of the differences between them. They should all level out EXACTLY to the highest (1) fuel level of the (4) carbs.
                        The only problem i can see with this is when the bike is on the kickstand, rather than on the center stand, i think....there will be flooding.
                        Hey Jersey Guy! Check in on us more often! :-D
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                        X