GS1100E cam interchangability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E cam interchangability

I'm putting together an 83 GS1100ES and found a bad intake cam.
    I'm wondering if cams from an earlier year 1100 will fit, I know the profile might be slightly different, but will they fit?
    And if I use an earlier year intake cam, should I also change the exhaust cam to match?

Lastly, does anyone here have any cams available?

Thanks all,
    Bill

All 1100E/ES/Katana cams will fit. The profiles differ slightly from year to year. The '83 cams are supposed to be the most aggressive but I don't know the specs. It probably won't make much of a difference if you mix the years.

Comment

Bill, yes all the 16 valve GS1100 AND 1150 cams are interchangeable. If I were you I would put in an 1150 intake cam & be done with it. The 83 had the biggest 1100 cams & the 1150 is even bigger. the earlier 1100 cams are smaller than the 83. No, you don't have to change both cams if only one is bad but you need to take a GOOD look at the rocker arms that cam is coming off of. Also, the 1150 exhaust cam does NOT have a tach drive gear on it so if you use that one you will lose your tach. I have LOTS of cams if you want to PM me. Ray.

Comment

Hold your horse's. (Thats quaint English slang for slow down!) What parts shot on the cam? The lobe or the bearing surface?

If its the lobe has its lost its silver like hardner you will have to replace the cam follower also. Before doing that I would suggest that you take the sump plate off and clean the oil stainer. After that strip the clutch out and check the oil pump and finally clean all the oilways.

If its your bearing surface you wil need a new head or a good machine shop to make up new bearing surfaces in your old head. Then do all the above.

Sounds like you've had a bad dose of oil failure in there.

As for the tacho question, from 1983 the tacho's were electronic. The cams came with the worm drive but the rocker box had a blanking plate only.

Suzuki mad
        Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2008, 04:09 AM. Reason: spull checker and added more

Comment

The cams in the US don't have the worm gear.
          Don't ask me why.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X