Replace the base gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace the base gasket?

Looks like my head gasket is leaking oil so I am going to replace it but wonder if it is necessary to also replace the base gasket? I know what a pain it can be to get the cylinders down over the piston rings so would rather avoid that if I can.
    '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
    '03 DR650
    sigpic

usually you would replace it because when you take off the head, there is no pressure on the base gasket, therefore breaking a 26 year old seal. you could just be ginger with it and shoot for the best but its easier to take it apart once and not twice when you find out it leaks. also, putting the pistons back into the cylinders isnt that hard. i did all four by myself without a ring compressor. four hands would be easier.

Comment

Hi 7th Day! I am in the same situation. I need to replace the head gasket on GS5650 but have been wondering about the base gasket before starting. Have you decided on the gasket kit?
      catbed- how long did it take for you to replace all gaskets? How did you removed the base gasket?

Thanks

Comment

it took me 2 days to replace the two gaskets but that included removing the old gasket. i used permatex gasket remover and a razor blade. be sure to remove the o-rings from around the cylinders on the bottom before though.

Comment

When I replaced my head gasket, I only had a week to do it in (had to teach an ERC the following weekend), so I removed all parts necessary to remove the head, cleaned it all up completely, and re-installed the head, etc. The base gasket has weeped a very small amount since I bought the bike and it hasn't changed a bit since I replaced the head gasket. Be real careful doing this job, and you can leave the base gasket intact..............:-D

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            When I replaced my head gasket, I only had a week to do it in (had to teach an ERC the following weekend), so I removed all parts necessary to remove the head, cleaned it all up completely, and re-installed the head, etc. The base gasket has weeped a very small amount since I bought the bike and it hasn't changed a bit since I replaced the head gasket. Be real careful doing this job, and you can leave the base gasket intact..............:-D
            Yea, don't change the base gasket if you are ok with base gasket weepage. If you expect an oil tight engine, replace it.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Seems awfully silly to me to do 95% of the job and then wimp out.

Pull the cylinders and replace the base gasket and o-rings, fercripessake. What's so scary about putting the cylinders back on, anyway? It aint' that hard -- just get a buddy to help, or take your time and do it yerself.

Had enough taunting?

And since you're in the neighborhood, it would also be an EXCELLENT idea to pull the pistons, clean them up nicely, replace the piston rings and circlips, and lightly hone the bores before putting the whole thing back together.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ok Ok I know I'm just a little on the lazy side so I'll replace the base gasket also. Thanks for all the replies.
                '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
                '03 DR650
                sigpic

Comment

Well, like I said, I only had a week to do the job in, and I had other work to be done besides. I didn't have time for rings, cylinder honing, etc. It had to run on time, even with having a whole week to do it in I was having issues with idling when I got it together, and didn't have the problem resolved by Saturday when I had to coach the ERC. It was a decision I didn't make lightly, but it had to be done that way. I can live with a small amount of oil weepage and still ride the bike, pretend it's a Hardley, I guess...........:-D
                  Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Yea, don't change the base gasket if you are ok with base gasket weepage. If you expect an oil tight engine, replace it.

Comment

I wouldn't go that deep unless you already have a problem with it. The base gasket is there for the most part to keep gasses from escaping from the engine. The oil level never gets that high. There are probably oil squirt holes in the connecting rod ends that could over squirt and get oil across the base of the cylinders but a tight as the fit into the crank it would have a hard time flowing uphill. Most of the leaks blamed on the base gasket are from something else. I've pulled several heads, nevered replaced a base gasket and never had one leak.

Comment

Working...
                    X