Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This question is going to make you wince from the stupidity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This question is going to make you wince from the stupidity...

Ok well seeing as this bike has been apart for a few months now, I've forgotten how some things go together. Most things I've done alright and figured out but this latest one has stumped me horrible.

What in the F* does the throttle cable attach to, to secure it from moving. It has a threaded end and two nuts that I assume are meant to lock it in place with something. The question is, to what? Obiviously it can't just hang there or else it would never work right. Help!

there should be a bracket that bolts to the top of #3 carb with a forked arm the cable slides on.

Comment

If you go to your favorite on line motorcycle dealer (such as www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/) and click on the parts finder then look up your 81 GS550L, and go to carburetor, you'll see what the bracket looks like. I find those schematics very useful (aside from purchasing parts).

Ed
      1981 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
        there should be a bracket that bolts to the top of #3 carb with a forked arm the cable slides on.
        Exactly. Hook the end balls into the rocker for the throttle slides, the slide the double netted end up into the hook. Open the nuts up so one is one ach side of the hook. Repeat for the other cable. Now use the nuts to adjust cable free play.

We all forget stuff. Heck, when I rebuilt my van motor, I got all the motor stuff right, but totally messed up where the exhaust manifold meets the exhaust pipe. Fortunately, it fired right up and let me know I screwed up. 5 more minutes under the van fixed that problem.

Do you have a manual? Doesn't it contain helpful pictures?** Just asking
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks guys. I know exactly what it is now. And to think I would've never known what to look for without both of your responses

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Exactly. Hook the end balls into the rocker for the throttle slides, the slide the double netted end up into the hook. Open the nuts up so one is one ach side of the hook. Repeat for the other cable. Now use the nuts to adjust cable free play.

We all forget stuff. Heck, when I rebuilt my van motor, I got all the motor stuff right, but totally messed up where the exhaust manifold meets the exhaust pipe. Fortunately, it fired right up and let me know I screwed up. 5 more minutes under the van fixed that problem.

Do you have a manual? Doesn't it contain helpful pictures?** Just asking
            I do, and no it doesn't lol. The pictures in the manual are about the worse pictures I've ever seen in any manual

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
              What in the F* does the throttle cable attach to, to secure it from moving. It has a threaded end and two nuts that I assume are meant to lock it in place with something. The question is, to what? Obiviously it can't just hang there or else it would never work right. Help!
              Sounds like you are all set with finding the bracket that is held in place by 2 philips head screws on the #3 carb top cover in which your throttle cable will need to mount.
              But for future reference, I was able to remove my throttle cable without any fiddling with adjuster nuts by removing the 2 philips head screws freeing up the bracket, tilting the carb assembly slightly backwards as I removed it, and used my finger to fully open the throttle lever creating plenty of slack in the cable to unhook it with my other hand. When I assembled it I did in reverse to hook the cable back up, mount the bracket on the carb #3 after mounting the carb assembly into the intake boots. I never had to adjust anything after because the cable was exactly as it was- idle at 1100rpm and choke cable exactly where it was supposed to be.
              I thought it was easier doing it this way.

Comment

Wince!*
                :-D
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X