Fitting a steering damper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting a steering damper.

My good buddy Dee (Kingof Venus)has come through again and I now have a steering damper to bolt on the old Blackbooty. Many thanks Dee once again.

I think I know where to mount it as there a couple of bolts welded to the frame down rails on either side but I have a question or two.

Which side is best? I think it could go either side but is there a preferred side?

Does the damper rod and fork clamp need to run and attach in a straight line which would mean the damper will bolt to the frame at a bit of an up angle?

When the damper rod is fixed to the clamp can it have a bit of play in it (at the clamp) or does it need a tight fit. I assume the clamp needs to be tight on the fork leg however.

When the damper is fixed in place what setting is usually preferred, firm soft or in between? How do you go about determining what is best?

Anyone have a pic of a damper fitted to an 83 or later bike?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

As always, I appreciate all input.

Cheers all,
    Spyug

Why do you want one, are you getting headshake in some situations or something?

Comment

No real or pressing need to add a damper but I like to fiddle and its a small project. I promised the wife I wouldn't do another full bike build this winter

I haven't experienced headshake personally but I've seen vids (there's a fairly famous one from the Isle of Man TT) and I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of one.

I've also been thinking about doing some track days this year and I was reading how some guys set up their bikes and a damper is recommended.

Have you any experience with them?

Cheers,
      spyug

Comment

My '83 XJ750 Seca came from the factory with a steering damper. This bike's overall layout is very similar to your GS's.

I'll take some pics tomorrow of how it's laid out to give you some ideas.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Most of the guys who've installed them on the cafe forums ive read about seem to have a good idea of installing them on the left side of the bike (when on it) as if you have to adjust it while moving, you dont have to take your hand off the throttle.

Comment

Craig Smithy over on OSS has one fitted on his GS1000 racebike, maybe shoot him a PM. I have one too as the K4 GSXR 1000 forks came with one standard on that front end. I just had to weld a bracket to the headstock to get it to work.

Craigs setup:

Comment

Post up if you get one installed and let us know how it works out since I wouldnt mind installing one on my Gs1100esd too!

Comment

Working...
              X