Interchangeable parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interchangeable parts

I have found that some parts for the GS's are very hard to come by and the OEM parts are very expensive, if available and in some cases may have to be ordered from an international supplier at high shipping costs. On the other hand many common parts are readily available off the shelf at either other bike manufacturers or even at engineering suppliers or automotive parts suppliers. Here bearings, seals, o-rings, nuts and bolts, electrical etc come to mind.
    Many posts such as will a starter off a jetski fit my bike or will a master cylinder from a quad fit, what size o-ring does the GS1000 use on the intake rubber etc.
    I was thinking that we should start a thread ONLY for posting availability and size/type numbers of parts that can be used or has been used by forum members other than the OEM parts.
    If most agree maybe we can have this made a sticky and let it grow.

Rear brake caliper rubbers

When overhauling my rear brake caliper, I found that the rubber kit for a Mercedes 230/280 contained the exact parts. The rubber seals were a perfect fit. The dustcovers could even be used if first slipped on the piston and then on the housing even if they were slightly different than the OEM.

Our kit at Autozone is called a Hydraulic Kit FED.SX981S and is aftermarket by Spirex and cost about $5 and had enough rubbers for both pistons.

Comment

Alllllrighty, then. Not sure how useful this might be, but...

Intake boot o-rings: make sure you order VITON for these -- regular buna-n o-rings will crumble very quickly in the heat. http://www.mcmaster.com is a good source for Viton o-rings in bags of 10 or 25.

Obviously, it's a lot easier and probably cheaper to just order your o-rings from Suzuki unless you work on a lot of GSs or you're in a big hurry.

#128 - fits 80-83 GS850 and a few others - substitute for Suzuki part#09280-38004 (38mm ID)

#129 - fits GS1100, VX800, and a TON of other Suzuki models - substitute for Suzuki part #09280-40010 (40mm ID)

#125 - fits 1979 GS850, 77-79 GS750, 77-79GS1000, and a few others - substitute for Suzuki part #09280-32006 (32mm ID)

These are inch sized o-rings -- they have been tested and proven to work perfectly and last for years when substituted as shown above, but they are very slightly fatter in cross-section than the OEM metric o-rings.

If you get these, make SURE you get Viton o-rings -- they MUST be resistant to both heat and fuel, and other o-ring materials won't work. You can't get these at the corner hardware store or plumbing supply house.

And please, VERIFY fitment and part numbers. Don't trust some random guy on some random forum -- go look up your part numbers yourself.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Intake boot o-rings

bwringer,
        Thanks for that, excellent info. Could you possibly post the seal and o-ring from your excellent pictorial for the chain tensioner as well?

If I may add to bwringers post;
        Inlet boot o-rings can usually be obtained from most reputable bearing and seal suppliers.

They must be of Viton material: (sometimes more matt black than the glossy standard o-rings)

Sizes are
        40mm x 2.5mm
        or
        38mm x 2.5mm
        or
        32mm x 2.5mm
        Depending on the size of your carburettor, see bwingers post as well for which bikes.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2008, 04:49 AM. Reason: Added title

Comment

Working...
        X