Choke lever location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke lever location

After all the troubles I've had with my bike, I can't believe that this is turning out to be the most long standing and difficult to resolve.

My bike has a choke lever on the left handlebar. It's always been obvious that it's not the original - it looks like a bicycle bell and I think it must have come from an old lawnmower. It fits on the handlebar with a bracket. Anyway, it broke some time ago and I've been trying to find a replacement.

This has taken months. First I was sent just the lever. I then explained that I wanted the whole thing and now, finally, it's arrived. It comprises a body (part no. 37572-49441), a washer (P/N 58722-03010), 'starter lever'(P/N 58721-27503) and a screw (P/N 02112-75163). Now I was expecting some sort of bracket to fit it to the handlebar but there isn't one. I'm guessing that the single screw which holds the lever to the body is meant to fit into a hole somewhere on the bike but I can't see a likely site anywhere.

There's no reference at all to the choke in my Clymer manual. A diagram showing how the various control cables are routed shows a plunger type choke next to the ignition. There's no sign that my bike ever had one of those. I can't see any way that a choke of the design I've just bought was ever fitted the handlebar. Any idea where and how the choke lever fits? Is there yet another part I have to order (though I can't see how any other part could fit to what I've just bought). Also, the lever has an arrow on either side, pointing away from the body, with a letter S on one side and a letter R on the other. What might that signify? :?

Thanks

Roger

This is just a shot in the dark ... Your original choke may have been mounted to the underside of your left hand control (where the turn signals are) - look at the bottom of the control and you just might find a place to put that screw!! 8) The S and the R signify Start and Run positions.

Comment

yes, Mark is correct, the choke monted under the left handle bar control pod, there should be the cable, a lever, a washer, and a screw/bolt.
      if your bike still has the correct control pod, there will be a mounting hole on the bottom.

Comment

Thanks

Hey, you're both right. Thank you.

Roger

Comment

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by TEMS
          Hey, you're both right. Thank you.

Roger
          Your quite welcome!! 8)

Comment

Re: Thanks